Sump Pump Life Span

Old 01-11-04, 01:10 PM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Sump Pump Life Span

I have a 3/10 hp Zoeller sump pump I installed in June of 2000. the switch stuck once today, and wouldnt start the pump until I nudged it with a stick. It seemed like when I replaced it the last time, it was switch problems too. Are the switches repairable, or is replacing the pump the best option. This pump has to pump about every 10 minutes, they didnt call this the Great Black Swamp for nothing, in the old days. What kind of life span should we be getting out of these?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-04, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zoellers are one tough pump. I've had one running continuous in my backyard pond 24/7/365 for OVER NINE YEARS. Their switches however, in a word, suck. You can replace the switch, but it is definitely the Achilles heel of Zoeller pumps. What I've learned to do is remove the existing switch and seal the top where the switch is. Then get a remote mercury float switch and plug the pump into that. If you got a good one it will go forever.

Old 01-11-04, 02:57 PM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Sump Pump

I kind of thought I was throwing away a good pump the last time too. How did you wire in the remote mercury switch? Where did you buy them? Good Brand ?. Sorry for the questions, used to have time to experiment, but I have too many houses and women without husbands to rescue when It rains arround here! Ill bet that sealing even a new Zoeller switch on an old pump is not an easy job.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 01-11-04, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They look like this:
http://www.pumpbiz.com/products/inde...roduct_id=7519

As far as the existing switch, you COULD just wire it up with the float arm up in the on position. Just be sure the cap screws where the swich is located is tight. You can also buy the cover without the switch assembly. Again seal that top up good, the cover tends to want to leak over time. Actually if you get a new switch its pretty easy to replace the switch. However you want to handle it....