Sump Pump Vacuum Break

Old 02-05-04, 04:03 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Sump Pump Vacuum Break

Advice from a few posts back from someone (I wont mention any names this time...lessons learned wow) told me to drill a 3/16 inch hole in the line BETWEEN the pump and the check valve, which I did. I know that one really nice thing happened. The plastic pipe that made a lot of noise when the pump stopped, stopped making noise. Its great! However, the water that sprays out of the small hole when the pump turns on, hits the side of the sump pit so hard that it causes spray to travel high and wide. I rigged a cover to contain it, but thought there might be a device that I could buy that would direct the water downward. Yes I could build one, but time IS money lol

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-04, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Empty the pit completely out, then take the smallest cordless drill and drill one size higher, meaning 1/64 and angle the drill bit at a 45 degree angle so that the water shoots down instead of out.

Old 02-06-04, 01:35 PM
enigma-2
Visiting Guest
Mr

Originally posted by WML13
However, the water that sprays out of the small hole when the pump turns on, hits the side of the sump pit so hard that it causes spray to travel high and wide.
As the drain is attached by a SS hose clamp at the valve, is there any chance yo could loosen the drain, rotate it so it shoots the water across the sump pit & hits the other side (hitting a little lower & loosing a bit of the force in the process)?

Old 02-06-04, 04:14 PM
Sump Pump Spray

It already is travelling almost the whole diameter of the pit. I was going over to do the 45 degree drill, and got a call from the alarm company that the pump failed again. With water up to the top, I reach in and just touch the pump and it starts pumping. I would like to replace the most logical part, but the switch works on my bench every time. I leave it in the sump and it fails in about 36 hours and I have to give the pump a tap to start it. I could replace the switch easily, I have the cover it sits in off the top of the pump right now. Is there something in the motor itself I need to be getting to? (Its a Zoeller PN 57 003) The cheap all plastic Wayne is over there pumping away....

Old 02-06-04, 06:56 PM
WML13,

JUST DON'T BLAME ME THIS TIME, OK!!! (ROTFLMAO!!) Lefty.

Seriously, slide a Fernco coupling over the big hole you drilled and seal it off. Now, drill the LITTLE hole at an angle that DUNBAR suggest, and aim it away from the pump.

Old 02-06-04, 07:53 PM
Zoeller Pump

The vacuum break is not the problem now. The pump is. (I wont need a fernco fitting, the present hole is smaller than 3/16 recommended. I can do the 45 degree thing and it should work.

Old 02-06-04, 09:36 PM
I have tried drilling at an angle and I am never happy with hole. The pipe wall thickness is really to small to have much of an effect in direction the spray. I buy one of the fernco couplings that goes from 1.5" to 2" (assuming that this uses a 1.5" pipe to discharge). Positon the fernco coupling so that the 2" section of it is infront of the hole. The water will squirt out, hit the fernco coupling and fall straight down into the pit. Absolutely no spray whatsoever. If you have 2" pipe, use a 2" to 3" fernco coupling.

I would recommend replacing the switch on the pump. It goes for $17. It almost always is the switch.

Old 02-07-04, 06:42 AM
Sump Pump Switch etc

For that amount of money, it is worth the try. Thank you very much! Where do I send the beer? (Ill do the fernco thing too)