Replacing PVC main line to house


Old 02-10-04, 11:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Replacing PVC main line to house


I am planning to replace existing PVC 3/4" main line from water meter to my house with copper pipe. This is my first time in doing this project.

(1) Could I use the flexible copper pipe instead solid copper line? What is specification of the flexible copper pipe? The length of the supply line is approx. 65 feet to 70 feet long.

(2) Is it OK to cut the old PVC connections to water meter and house and leave it in the ground? I will reroute the new flexible pipe and connect to the meter and house?

(3) I live in northern california San Francisco area, how deep should I dig the trench for the new copper line to avoid frozen pipe in the winter?

(4) The dirt in our area is mostly clay in nature. Do I need to put sand and how many inches deep underneath the new pipe?

Please advise!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nty; 02-11-04 at 12:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-04, 12:30 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,952
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

1. I would use 1" (for increased volume) Type L copper pipe for this.
2. It's O.K. to leave old pipe in the ground, disconnected at both ends.
3. & 4. Contact your Building Inspection Department for local code, permit and inspection requirements.
Good Luck!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: