Water diverter to be replaced?

Old 02-20-04, 10:25 AM
br05741
Visiting Guest
Question Water diverter to be replaced?

On a three handle shower fixture I am having water run out of both the tub spout and shower spout at the same time after I have turned the shower on. I am therefore losing water as it is running out of bath spout when it should close itself off. I understand that there is a diverter that probably needs to be replaced, but where is this diverter, can I replace it from the shower side or do I have to go from the back of the shower? Also, if the diverter is inside the bath water spout how do you remove this peice. I beleive that it will unscrew but it must be very tight if so because I am havign trouble removing it. Please help.

Old 02-20-04, 11:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That center handle of that faucet is your diverter stem. This stem looks different than the hot or cold stems, and they have a seat washer and seat just like the hot and cold.

Remove this stem from center and inspect, clean, grease, and replace the seat washer AND brass seat that is inside of faucet body.

This will fix your problem.

Old 02-20-04, 11:44 AM
br05741
Visiting Guest
Center Faucet is Diverter?

I can understand that the center faucet is the diverter system but these faucets are extremely difficult to remove. In fact I have been unsuccessful in removing them. After I remove the center cap that labels the faucet as either cold or hot there is a short phillips screw. I have no trouble remving the screw but how do you remove the actaul knob that yout turn the water on with so that I can get to the diverter system?

Old 02-20-04, 11:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Handle puller at your local plumbing supply or big box store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: