Moen faucet slowly closes itself down

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-04, 06:32 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Moen faucet slowly closes itself down

I cleaned and lubed with silicone foodgrade plumbers grease the cartridge, o rings, etc. and it works really smoothly. Too smoothly, because when you lift the handle it slowly falls down becaue of gravity? and not enough resistance. I removed most of the grease from the cartridge and inside the cartridge and soap-cleaned the handle itself but it still is a little loose. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-04, 02:11 AM
There is a part called a friction ring, it slips onto the cartridge see link below, the part in this exploded view on this Moen faucet you will see the part between the cartridge and the spout assembly, this is the friction ring, this part plays the role on keeping the from falling by gravity.

If it's missing install one, if there is one there, install more then one. without these the handle will shut the faucet off.

Moen Faucet exploded view,

Old 03-01-04, 03:55 AM
M
friction ring location

Thank you, but I didn't see it in the exploded diagram. Mine is in the bathroom. Is this ring available separately? It maybe one of the parts at the bottom of the handle assembly since they're not individually labeled, but I'm not sure. Thank you again.

Old 03-01-04, 06:44 AM
It does not matter what faucet you have, you need this on the faucet.

Here is a lav faucet view

Call 1-800-Buy Moen

If you can't find it local call they will send you one, also ask for a new cartridge, they will send it to you free of charge.

Moen Lav Faucet

Last edited by Plumber2000; 03-01-04 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-20-13, 12:34 PM
J
problem is possibly the "adapter connector"

I ran into this problem with my Moen 7700 faucet - after replacing the cartridge, the faucet would (quickly) turn itself off. I spoke with Moen on the phone and they were good about sending me replacement parts (no charge, covered under "lifetime warranty", and I didn't need my original receipt even though technicalliy they require it). They guessed that it was part number 6 in this diagram ( Moen 7700 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com ), which is a bunch of parts including the adapter and connector. My old connnector (the black rubber part with two holes in it) was apparently worn. Apparently the faucet relies on friction between this part and the metal adapter that it snaps around. With the old part I was able to tighten the cartridge screw so far that the two halves of the rubber connector were able to touch each other (and even after that did not create enough friction). With the new part I could not tighten it that far - the pressure on the metal adapter part was enough to prevent this, and apparently this friction is in part what keeps the faucet from turning itself off. After this it worked fine once again. I read in other places that this problem might be caused by too much lubricant in the cartridge, or that the "o rings" in a new part need to swell a little bit after installation to prevent this, but from my experience I don't think those are the most likely causes. I also did not see any "friction ring" mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old 06-20-13, 12:48 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Hi Jclee and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the information, but I hope the original poster solved his problem by now as the thread is from over 9 years ago. I'm going to close this thread.

Hope to see you around these forums more!

Closed Thread