washing machine water backs out of drain pipe in wall

Old 03-02-04, 01:15 PM
cynthia robinso
Visiting Guest
Unhappy washing machine water backs out of drain pipe in wall

I live in a house that was built in the sixty's - my washing machine when in wash cycle or rinse cycle drains into the drain pipe - backs up out of that pie and water spills everywhere - it appears to be clogged or something - Please help - do you think it could be the metal pipe it self with rust and corrosion - how can i unclog/uncorrode if so - I have used commercial drain cleaners to no avail - someone had recommended sulphric acid , said using a snake would not help -tried a snake but it was not long enough please advise - By the way, previously when the water drained out of the washing machine for each cycle - it would back up into the kitchen sink and drain itself out - i am certain it would still do this and back up out of the washing machine drain pipe if I allowed it to run thru the entire cycle, but i would have water everywhere - help me please - THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-04, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a trip to the rental yard to buy a electric snake is in your best interest.

This will give you the force to send the snake through the clog and remove what is blocking the line.

If you have never used a drain cleaning machine, I would advise hiring a plumber to perform this task. That machine is dangerous and can cause even more problems if things go wrong.

Old 03-03-04, 07:15 AM
cynthia robinso
Visiting Guest
Thank you so very much for responding to my dilemma - I really really appreciate it - You are wonderful!

Old 03-12-04, 03:05 PM
cynthia robinso
Visiting Guest
pLUMBING

Hi - I flwd your advice and got the electric snake - kinda worked - still felt something was blocking it and it would not go past elbow - poured some sulpuric acid down drain - water backed up a little the first time - second try - no back up water - water did continue to drain in sink when I washed ( washed two loads and no back up water in washing machine drain - but water level that backed up in sink as it drained wash water and rinse water was not high like it use to be - should I wait a while and use acid again -- In checking piping under house - pipes are rigged so that water is shooting up dishwasher hose - about 1 1/2 inch - i feel that the drain pipe is still blocked once water passes by dw hose - plannign on getting a 100ft electric snake and snaking under house - there is an elbow there that feeds into main pipe - what do you think?

Old 03-12-04, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would make a few passes with the drain cleaning machine,,,,maybe reverse the cable into the clog.

Is there anyway to send pics? Explain that situation with your dishwasher; it sounds really unsafe.