Hot Water Supply

Old 03-17-04, 11:05 AM
TLOUV1175
Visiting Guest
Question Adding A New Bathroom-- Beginner

IS IT POSSIBLE TO RUN NEW PLUMBING DIRECTLY FROM MY HOT WATER HEATER?? WE ARE ADDING A NEW BATHROOM AND ARE TRYING TO SAVE MONEY BY DOING EVERYTHING OURSELVES. IN THE SAME ROOM WHERE WE ARE ADDING THE BATHROOM AND CLOSET IS MY HOT WATER HEATER. I THOUGHT THAT MAYBE WE COULD RUN THE NEW PIPES FROM THE HOT WATER HEATER RATHER THAN FROM THE EXISTING PIPES UNDER THE HOUSE. THIS WOULD SAVE A LOT OF TIME IF IT IS POSSIBLE. PLEASE SEND ME AN E-MAIL WITH AN ANSWER AND IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION I WOULD APPRECIATE IT GREATLY.

Old 03-17-04, 11:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Trinity. Welcome to the Do It Yourself web site.

The answer to the question is yes. You will need to remove the flex connector on the outlet hot water side (left side) above the water heater. Hopefully there is a flex line there already.

Than install a short pipe into the water heater outlet. Than a Tee on that short pipe nipple and another short pipe nipple on top of the tee to reconnect the flex line to. In the horizontal end of the tee install the new piping to the desired location(s) in the bathroom addition.

The plumbing professionals will provide additional information Check back on your question several times over the next few days.

Use the reply button to add additional questions and or post replies to theis question, etc. Doing so will automatically keep it in the daily list of question each time a reply is posted.

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Old 03-20-04, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Be careful

TLOUV1175, Is your water heater gas or electric? Most code updates have removed water heaters from bathrooms altogether. Don’t want to do a big project just to have someone tell you to take it out. Check with a local plumber about code.

Old 03-21-04, 06:07 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
TLOUV1175

Please turn large caps off.

Old 03-21-04, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can have a water heater in a bathroom, but only an electric one, you can never put a gas water heater in a bathroom.

If the water lines are 3/4" at the heater and not 1/2" then sure you can take off from there, if there shown up as 1/2" then I'd recommend finding the closest 3/4" lines to pull from there, to send to the new addition.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: