Smell since new Hot water tank installed

Old 02-12-00, 03:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Just build a new home. After installing Hot water heater started getting a sulfur or rotton egg smell from water.

Old 02-12-00, 11:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I've never heard of this problem with a brand new water heater, but have seen it occur with a used water heater in a house that had been vacant for months (I'm a real estate broker). Health Department said that odor was caused by harmless bacteria buildup in water heater. Problem solved by thorough flushing of water heater by turning off breaker and running hot water faucets in sinks and tubs until odor disappears. Try that. Let me know if it works for you.

Old 02-13-00, 07:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:sce03671@mail.wvnet.edu

You did not mention if this new water heater was gas or electric.

You did mention rotten egg smell which caused me to think gas leak???. You sure that small is the water???

If the tank is gas fired and the faucet your smelling the smell from is close to that tank, soap the gas connections and look for very small bubbles.

It may take a few minutes for those tiny bubbles to appear. Check closely and allow time. If there is a very tiny leakage, it will show. Be sure your soap mixture is semi thick.

After the tank and water line flushing and leak checking is complete and your still smelling an odor, contact your local gas supplier and request a service rep. make a house call to check for laeks with a Gas-Trak.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco
TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: