help, cast iron heating system pipes broken

Old 02-13-00, 08:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Hi, I have the old hot water circulating through radiators system. One of the pipes under the house (in the return line if that matters), has rusted out. The threaded couplers are of course way to old to allow unthreading. Can I cut back to good pipe and attach new coupler (do they have them with one end unthreaded and one threaded? Can cast iron be sweat fitted or soldered or is replacing all pipe back to good threading/coupler required?? Is PVC/CPVC an option? I know copper but no exp with cast iron.
Old 02-13-00, 11:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I would cut the rusted out pipe in half and unthread the halves from the couplings with large pipe wrenches. Get the same size/type pipe (threaded on all ends)and a union, reassemble, and refill system.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: