Hot Water Heater selection?

Old 02-14-00, 06:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am moving into a house that needs a hot water heater (electric) and was looking for a suggestion. Energy efficency is the very important? It is for a family of four [2 baths] (but, an addition to add another bathroom is in the future). The water supply is from a well - looking into "tankless" systems, I was wondering if mineral buildup would affect the coils or inside of the unit. Of course flow rate does matter - ideally one could use the shower at the same time someone used the kitchen sink. Any thoughts? Are tank systems ever used in parallel with tankless, and if so, is that efficient or cost-effective? Basically, I am looking for the best bang for the buck (long-term). Thanks in advance for your time and thought.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-00, 08:50 PM
Visiting Guest
A GAS HEATER WILL BE ALOT MORE EFFICIENT
THAN AN ELECTRIC EVER WILL,IF YOU ARE LOOKING
FOR EFFIENCY IN ELECTRIC HEATERS GOOD LUCK.
THEY MAKE A 70 GALLON ELECTRIC HEATER, BUT
I WOULD RECOMMEND 2-50'S IN PARALLEL,THAT WILL GIVE YOU ALMOST 100 GALLONS AN HOUR SINCE AN ELECTRIC HEATER IS A LITTLE QUICKER
ON RECOVERY THAN A GAS HEATER THE SAME SIZE.
IF THE HEATERS WILL BE LOCATED IN THE BASEMENT UNDERNEATH THE EXISTING BATHROOMS
AND THE PROPOSED ONE AND ARE 70 FEET OR MORE
FROM THE HOT WATER SOURCE I WOULD CONSIDER A GRAVITY RETURN LINE BE INSTALLED,THIS WILL SAVE ENERGY BY REDUCING THE TIME OF HOT WATER TO THE FAUCET.

Old 02-15-00, 04:17 PM
Visiting Guest
THIS MESSAGE IS REALLY FROM TOM BARTCO, Moderator of Appliances - Gas

Hietenic

I personally do not recommend mixing a tankless water heater with a tank type.

Best suggestion I could offer is forget all the other options and go with one natural gas
tank <if nat gas is available> with a 75 gallon capacity and a circulation pump.

Your problems will be solved quickly and easily, now and with the future addition.

Good Luck,
TomBartco