Is cast iron really this difficult?

Old 03-06-00, 03:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

We want to remodel our small full bath -- house is about 75 years old. We had a contractor come in today who said that the plumbing cost just to change the existing tub, toilet, and sink -- not moving from their locations, just replacing with new fixtures -- would cost around $3,000, because our drain pipes are most likely cast iron. He said once you open up cast iron, you've got to replace it as much as possible because if you move it around, it will develop leaks. Is there a shred of truth to this? I've just never heard of this before. If this is true, we would likely abandon our plans to remodel. Should I call in a plumber for another opinion, or is it even worth my time and his?

Thanks for any insight.
Jill

Old 03-06-00, 07:20 PM
Visiting Guest
SOUNDS LIKE THE CONTRACTOR DOES NOT KNOW
HOW TO MOVE CAST IROM PLUMBING AROUND,
IT WILL NOT DEVELOP LEAKS FROM WORKING WITH IT,SOMETIMES IT CAN GET BRITTLE BUT MOST OF THE TIME IT IS OK TO WORK WITH.IS YOUR PLUMBING IN A SLAB ? E-MAIL ME A PICTURE OF THE BEFORE AND AFTER YOU HAVE IN MIND,MAYBE I CAN GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS,ALSO IF THE CONTRACTOR WAS THE ONE PLANNING TO DO THE PLUMBING WORK I WOULD NOT EVEN LET HIM TOUCH THE PLUMBING,UNLESS HE IS A LICENSED PLUMBER,
BUT IT IS UNLIKLEY THAT HE HOLDS ANY LICENSE
AT ALL..YOU CAN DO THE TEAR OUT YOUR SELF TO
SAVE MONEY..

Old 03-11-00, 01:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I totally agree that working with cast iron properly will not cause it to leak. If it was mine and it was not under a slab I would replace the cast iron just based on the age of it. It would be a shame to have this area open and not replace what is there.
Here is an example of working with cast iron.
Generally speaking that would be as easy as this. Cast Iron that old is put together using a Lead Joint. Go to the Bell of the pipe where you want to start to replace the cast irn. heat the lead with a torch. The lead will melt out and then a screw driver can be used to take out any other material. Then get a Gasket for Hub cast iron and you are ready to put plastic PVC or ABS in. Alternativly you can cut the cast iron with a pair of cast iron cutters. The use a Calder coupling to join it to the plastic. Either aproach care must be taken not to break the cast iron as the guy before said it could be brittle.

Old 11-21-01, 06:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Happy Turkey Day

h

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: