Gas Line

Old 04-06-04, 11:07 AM
Gas Line

I,m getting ready to bury a gas line to the shed. What is the yellow plastic line called and do they make fittings to go from pipe to this yellow stuff. Is it easy to work with? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-04, 11:24 AM
A Normac Riser is what is code in my area for the transition of gas plastic piping (PE 2406) to threaded black iron.

The normac riser is quite inexpensive, and is designed to hang a meter, or the latter in your situation. There is a shield on the pipe that protects the piping as it comes up through the ground.

It is always best to follow the codes in regards to gas line piping underground in your area. Consult with a plumber about the local codes in your area.

Old 04-06-04, 09:11 PM
A couple of questions --

First, WHY a gas line to a shed??

Second, I would leave running ANY gas line to a pro. He (or she) has the liability insurance coverage, just in case ... If you, as a homeowner, run the gas line and something goes wrong, you may find out you have NO insurance coverage. THAT, my friend, could become expensive!!!

Old 04-07-04, 05:18 AM
I have a problem with putting something in the ground and not knowing it's name or anything about the fittings.

But again, that's just my opinion.

Nichboy, you should have someone who is qualified do this for you.

Old 04-07-04, 05:57 AM
I agree with Lefty and notuboo.

Old 04-07-04, 06:08 AM
I installed an additional valve off my meter this weekend, i am going to bury polyethlene pipe 18" in the ground to my shed to run a heater. I am installing risers at each end, i was just curious about the fittings for this poly pipe. A plumber wants $400.00 to do this and i have to dig the trench. Thanks

Old 04-07-04, 04:35 PM
So dig the ditch (rent a trencher it it's very far), pay the plumber the $400, it's done to code, and what's the problem?

Old 04-08-04, 04:25 AM
Thanks for all your help!!!!
I thought this was a DO IT YOURSELF site.

Old 04-08-04, 09:35 AM
It is a DIY site. The moderators, however, are cautious about providing advice that would allow someone to get in over their head and leave the site and/or moderator liable.

Water leaks. Gas goes boom. The margin for error is much smaller and generally best left to the pros.

I have never heard a house exploding because of a homeowner working on his water supply lines. In my neck of the woods there seems to be about 1 per year (generally in the summer) because of a homeowner working on his gas lines.

Old 04-09-04, 07:21 AM
There are many good reasons for the posts above and I have nothing to add. There is a good website to read about pipe in general and maybe you will find it helpful:

www.plasticpipe.org

Good luck

Old 04-09-04, 11:14 AM
blindrid
Visiting Guest
Been running my own gas lines for a long time. It's not that big of a deal. However, I do get a little concerned when someone talkes in technical terms like "yellow stuff".

Old 04-09-04, 11:25 PM
Nichboy,

You're right -- this is DoItYourself.com But it's NOT Do Yourself In!!!

Old 04-10-04, 08:08 AM
I also have completed as a DIY the total conversion of my house from all electric heat to natural gas. I installed all the "black Iron" pipe, furnace, and ducting myself. I followed all the proper procedures by obtaining a permit and required inspections by both the county and the gas company. All gas lines were pressure tested and everything done by the book. So, this can be done as a DIY but you MUST NOT cut any corners.

Old 04-10-04, 08:31 AM
Hey Rainbird, was that "the black stuff" you installed?

Good job and glad you did it right.

Old 10-19-11, 08:33 AM
Totally agree. That job was 7 years ago and it is still heating my shed. Thanks to those who assisted.