toilet flushing

Old 03-19-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
I am having problems with an upstairs toilet. It flushes but with the water coming up and almost overflowing. It then goes back down but nothing is flushed. Sometimes I have the use the plunger to get things along. What is happening? and why is the flushing so poorly and the water overflowing? HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-00, 09:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:erlich5

I am not a plummer and will also be waiting for a reply to your question from an expert.

However, I would bet the roof air vent is either plugged or restricted.

You may shortly find this to be correct. As soon as the expert plummer on this site posts his reply.

Therefore, locate your ladder and plummers snake and keep them handy. I have a gut feeling you will be going to one of the most peaceful places on earth, "UP ON THE ROOF" real soon...hahaha

Regards,
Tom

Old 03-20-00, 01:13 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:
Originally posted by TomBartco:
Hi:erlich5

I am not a plummer and will also be waiting for a reply to your question from an expert.

However, I would bet the roof air vent is either plugged or restricted.

You may shortly find this to be correct. As soon as the expert plummer on this site posts his reply.

Therefore, locate your ladder and plummers snake and keep them handy. I have a gut feeling you will be going to one of the most peaceful places on earth, "UP ON THE ROOF" real soon...hahaha

Regards,
Tom

erlich5
I doubt the roof vent is the problem as I assume you have other plumbing fixtures in the same room, and if they are working properly, your case is most like with the toilet bowl itself. You might want to invest in a toilet auger (about 20.00) and snake out your toilet with this.Upon pulling out the auger, if it seems to get jammed upand doesnt want to come out, you may have to pull up the toilet and go at the stoppage from the bottom up!
I assume the toilet has worked properly in the past ?
Usually if the vent on the roof is clogged, the vaccum created by flushing the toilet will actually suck the sink trap dry. I think you would know it if that happened.
You'd be very supprised and how many different types of objects can get partially lodged in the trap of the toilet and cause the type of problems you are having. I,ve removed denture partials, toys, hair brushes,cosmetic packs,wooden toilet paper rollers, just to name a few. If these dont come out with the auger, then you have to pull up the toilet, turn it upside down and insert the auger from the bttom up, to try to dislodge the stoppage and get it to come out,the same path it went in.

Old 03-21-00, 08:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Tom,
You were right.