copper pipe repair

Old 03-25-00, 10:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have an old house built in the 50's with copper pipe. The initial repair I'm looking at is under the kitchen sink, there are no water shut-off valves. So I run down to Home Depot, the guy gives me a pair of cut-off valves. I go back home, cut the pipe cleanly and put them on per the directions. The problem is that where the copper pipe comes into the bottom of the valve leaks back past the brass (compression?) fitting.

I have a torch and wonder if I should seal up the end of the nut where the water is coming out with solder? Or should I just remove the nut, cover the fitting with teflon tape and put it all back together?

Old 03-25-00, 11:13 AM
Visiting Guest
i would not solder a compression fitting. I know the directions say not to use pipe dope on many of them but plumbers do use it. Take it back apart and put a little pipe dope on the threads, This will lubericate it as you tighten. I do this whenever I have a leak on compression and it always works.

Old 03-26-00, 04:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Just so I got it straight, what exactly is Pipe Dope?? Pipe Compound or Plumber's Putty? I've not heard of pipe dope before.

Old 03-26-00, 06:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Pipe Compound/Pipe Dope. Same/Same. Teflon tape works, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: