Leaking Shower

Old 03-25-00, 01:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a shower stall in my downstairs bathroom that constantly leaks when it is turned off.

Do I just need to replace the washers or more?

The screw that holds on the cold water handle is stuck. Is there a way to un-freeze it so I can get to the valve stem and washers?

What is the procedure to removing the valve stems and replacing the washers? Do I need special tools?
Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-00, 06:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

jim: There are several ways to fix the problem. If you can't remove handle by spraying/soaking with something like WD-40 to dissolve brass corrosion, then you will have to hacksaw off stem and replace valve. There are valve sockets (like sparkplug sockets) that fit over stems, that come in different sizes. Remove valves, replacce washers. May be able to remove valve seats with a large allen wrench or special tool like one, if that is problem. Good Luck!

Old 03-25-00, 06:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Hard to say how much you need to replace but here is an approach you can take.
Pull the stems out and inspect them. Are they pretty much in tact? Or are they rough sharp and eaten up. Usually if they are rough sharp or eaten up they will tear new washers up fairly fast. If that is the case replacing the stems would be in order.

As far as how every faucet is a little different but the basics are similar.

After the handles are off there is usually a nut holding the stems in. Loosen these and remove them. If the stem gives you too much trouble coming out put the handle back on and use it so you have something to pull on.

As far as a screw that holds the handle on
I am afraid I have a hard time explaining any tricks. When I was in the plumbing trade I was told to just get it done and that was that. If it was deemed impossible to get off and I was doing it at home I would carefully break it off as the time spent is worth more than the handle to me. Then use a pair of vice grips to get the screw out of the stem.

quote:
Originally posted by jimek:
I have a shower stall in my downstairs bathroom that constantly leaks when it is turned off.

Do I just need to replace the washers or more?

The screw that holds on the cold water handle is stuck. Is there a way to un-freeze it so I can get to the valve stem and washers?

What is the procedure to removing the valve stems and replacing the washers? Do I need special tools?
Thanks for your help!

Old 03-26-00, 01:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

OLDGUY& Coloradokid,

Thanks for your replies. I was able to get the stems/valves out and will need to replace them as they look to be in pretty bad condition.

If I can locate the correct size, this looks like an easy job, hopefully!!

Thanks again!

Old 03-26-00, 06:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Take your valves with you to get an exact match for both. Try to determine the manufacturer. That will help, too. How do the valve seats look? May need to replace those ,too. Good Luck!

Old 03-26-00, 01:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

OldGuy,
I am having a difficult time with finding the exact same valve.

I have been going to Lowes, but I am going to try a plumbing supply on Monday.

The first valve was the wrong size. I returned it and the one I put in now seems to be the correct size but it is a different brand name. Does it have to be the same brand?

After intalling it, now I don't have much water pressure through the spray, so I guess that means this is not the correct valve, either.

Sorry to say I don't know what valve seats are! This is a built in shower stall and all I can see are the valves that I took out and they do need replaced.

If I can find the exact same valves, I think I can make this work. By the way, the hot and cold valves are exactly the same. Is that the way it should be? The guy at Lowes told me they should be different.

Thanks again!
Jim