pvc to cast iron

Old 03-27-00, 01:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am replacing tub with walk-in shower on concrete slab. Appears that tub drain does not have a trap. I've uncovered brass? drain down to a leaded junction but can't see cast iron pipe yet. If I melt the lead out and remove the tub drain, what will I find ( 2" connection??) and how do I connect a 2" pvc line to it? also--is there a minimum verticle distance from shower drain to the trap exit?

Old 03-27-00, 06:27 PM
Visiting Guest
When you have Lead pipe going into cast iron What I have always seen was a Cast iron pipe. The place you need to get to before starting to melt the lead is to the bell of the cast iron pipe. If you have other cast iron pipes the bell is the end of the pipe where the next pipe fits into (basically the joint)

Old lead joints are taken apart by getting the lead hot and melting it. You can also use a hammer and screw driver once the lead is heated and starts toget soft. Be careful as cast iron is breakable. Once all the lead is taken out of the bell the pipe will come out. Then get a Gasket for Hub cast iron pipe. They have these at pluming wholsale stores, Home depot and some plumbers who sell parts will have them. Use soap or something slick so the PVC can slip inside the gasket

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JackH:
I am replacing tub with walk-in shower on concrete slab. Appears that tub drain does not have a trap. I've uncovered brass? drain down to a leaded junction but can't see cast iron pipe yet. If I melt the lead out and remove the tub drain, what will I find ( 2" connection??) and how do I connect a 2" pvc line to it? also--is there a minimum verticle distance from shower drain to the trap exit?<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: