basement drain odors

Old 04-15-04, 08:09 PM
pheedyr
Visiting Guest
? STINKY coming out of drain in basement?

hi newbie here

ok i dont know what is broken or what exactly is goin on
so here goes..

once upon a time like 5 years ago? my dad one day decided to put a sump pump in the basement for what ever reason ( he probably told me back then but chicks dont really pay attention too hard..)
and sometime after that he had like my uncles & cousins over to dig out a 6 foot trench from the house to the side walk and they replaced the pipe ( drain??) so i guess it was supposedly supposed to fix things ??

ok so now it's 2004 and like the sump pump seems to work ok but there is this stench that comes out of the drain in the basement so like what's wrong there?????? is it like some drain or something BROKE under the basement floor??? it has been stinking for years and i have the house on my own now ( dad passed) but i have no idea whats going on & how to get rid of it!!
another uncle told me to put water in the drain & it would go away but that's not a pemamnt fix...
i need to get this fixed .
its embarrsing to say "dont come over... my house smells"
and im afraid to get ripped off some how having someone come out?
please help
sorry it was a long post...
love pheedyr

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-04, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the wastewater in sump pit is souring.

Take a garden hose and hold your nose and spray the pit and clean all the muck off the sides.

The pump will do the cleaning for you; it will be cycling as you put water in it.

Once you see the majority of water clear, then take a bottle of bleach or clorox and cover the walls of pit and cycle the pump a few times, adding water with the hose again.

Spray the bottom of the pit to clean the bottom out, along with cleaning the pump.

This should resolve your problem if the pit is emitting the odor.

Old 04-15-04, 10:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If the odor is coming out of a basement floor drain, and not the sump pump pit, then do as your uncle recommended and pour water down it.
There is a trap under the floor level of the drain that holds water to prevent sewer gas from entering your home, as there is with all plumbing fixture drains for the same purpose.
The water in the trap will evaporate and allow sewer gas back in.
Pour a bucket of water down the floor drain every time that you detect any odor, or just do it on a regular basis.
Bet that it solves your problem.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-16-04, 11:12 PM
pheedyr
Visiting Guest
thanks guys !!

thanks for the info ill try them both

hugs pheedyr