OPENING MAIN CLEAN OUT

Old 04-17-00, 03:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I HAVE A CLOG IN MY MAIN TRAP AND NEED TO CLEAN IT OUT. THE HOUSE IS 98 YEARS OLD AND HAS CAST IRON WASTE PLUMBING. THE CAP ON THE MAIN CLEAN OUT SEEMS TO BE FUSED ON. I'VE TRIED WD-40 AND A STEEL POLE ON THE END OF THE MONKEY WRENCH BUT IT WON'T BUDGE. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. MPJB.

Old 04-17-00, 09:13 PM
Visiting Guest
I am assuming that you know where your clog is and know how to use a snake, Put on a pair of safety googles, take a 2 lb. sludge hammer and whack the collar real hard a few times right below the cleanout cap. This will destroy your fitting, but get you in to do the job. Stuff a rag in the remaining hole after you're done until you can get parts to add an ABS cleanout on.

Old 04-18-00, 06:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

RBP has the fastest solution, but you might try heating it good with a propane torch to see if that won't allow you to back it out with the cheater pipe/wrench trick. Good Luck!

Old 04-19-00, 05:26 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hello, I'd think twice about breaking into your system with a sledge you could cause yourself a lot of grief. How about drilling a bunch of holes around the edge of the cap and gently break it away. You may be able to peel ot the threads of the old cap with a chisle and replace it with a ABS cap or an expanding test cap.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 04-19-00, 11:10 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the old clean out is exposed enough, rent a soil pipe cutter and snap it off. That will leave you a clean cut that you can attach a neopreme fitting to. Then you can use whatever sort of cap you need to recover the cleanout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: