Leak at water meter

Old 04-27-04, 06:37 PM
ladydi298
Visiting Guest
Leak at water meter

Have small leak at the water meter that is in my basement. Leak in on first shut-off valve between where pipe comes into the house and the water meter. There is also a shut-off valve after the water meter as well. Is there anything I can try first before calling a professional? House is about 12 years old so I'm not sure how long these valves are supposed to last unless it was a builders special. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-04, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Call your water department before you do anything else.

Many times, you find that the water department owns the line up to and just past the water meter.

We'll discuss this further after you talk to them and you still have problems...

Let us know how this turns out.

Old 04-28-04, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes do not touch it, call City Dept, if you mess with this and cause more damage and they prove it, you will pay the bill.

Old 04-29-04, 01:55 PM
ladydi298
Visiting Guest
well, according to the water company the problem is all mine. The leak is so slight..I'm just getting a small amount in a pan I have on the floor but it does worry me because it is the main shut off valve. Any suggestions on what I could try? Thanks.

Old 04-29-04, 02:44 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: ladydi298

Although I have never heard a utility company not to on site checkout any leak, even a water leak regardless, is beyond me to understand. But than again, your state, that company and the fact that you say so, it's got to be true. Not the issue. Just a side note.....

My Two Cents:
If you would and could describe what the shut off valve looks like, it may help to determine if a minor repair is possible.

There are several types and styles of water shut off valves, just like there are in the natural gas industry. Some cannot be fixed, while some varities of the older types and styles can be fixed.

Knowing which type applies in your case, may help to determine how to best handle the situation.

Note to diy resident plumbing pro Plumber P2000
If you have pics, would be kind enough, if possible, to post them in a reply. In that fashion, readers and especially ladydi can select the one which applies. From that it may be able to be determined if that valve is infact repairable, can be fixed with a simple tightening or must be replaced. Thanks.