Glued P trap

Old 04-29-04, 12:12 PM
Jenifer123
Visiting Guest
Glued P trap

Does anyone know if it against code in California for a plumber to glue PVC pipes for a P trap without installing a compressor unit? I'm having a heck of a time with the first plumber who did this to my pipes 5 weeks ago as I needed to have the line from my sink snaked and the second plumber had to cut away the glued pipes and replace them with copper pipes. Its a long story, starting with a simple (!) garbage disposal replacement. I may end up taking plumber #1 to small claims court. I paid $450.00 to have a new disposal installed and had to call the plumber back out 3 times as it was still leaking. The second plumber said the first plumber really made a mess of things and now I just found out that the first plumber was not a licensed plumber - he was using someone else's licence. The second plumber did a wonderful job but it cost me $520.00! Any advice about gluing the pipes would be appreciated.
Thank you
Jen

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-04, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a mess for sure.

In the state of Kentucky, you must solvent weld the trap arm to the piping in the wall. This is new construction.

In service of existing homes, a marvel connector is permissable, which is a male adaptor with a nut for easy removal of trap at both ends.

Something sounds odd that you would have to put back copper instead of PVC in this day and age when it comes to drainage systems.

Post the pictures of the work the first plumber did, then the final work.

I hope you have pictures of the 1st plumber's work, it would be your only proving ground in small claims in a situation like this.

Old 05-03-04, 09:20 AM
Jenifer123
Visiting Guest
thank you

Dunbar,
Thanks for your reply. I have pics but I don't know how to post them on this site. Can I send you an email with them as attachments?
Thanks

Old 05-03-04, 03:52 PM
Go to www.photobucket.com and load the image there, then right click and copy the URL below and post that on this site. That will provide a link to the picture.

Old 05-03-04, 04:52 PM
You can definitely see how those not familiar with the trade sure can make it hard on themselves.

The intent of the first plumber actually was good, I expected a great deal worse. He should of used a tee instead of a wye, and he probably would not of had a problem under the sink with no leaks.

What isn't justified is the $520.00 charge to come in and replace that to tubular brass. Why so much to do roughly an hour's work?

It looks good, but it looks like the disposal didn't have to be touched, along with the basket strainer opposite of the disposal.

Old 05-04-04, 11:51 AM
Jenifer123
Visiting Guest
Thank you!

Hi Dunbar,
Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate your input being that I know absolutely nothing about plumbing! The 2nd plumber had to snake the line which was $250.00 and in doing so had to replace the pipes which cost me $270 as he had to cut the pipes off which the 1st guy had glued. I have called the first plubing company and am trying to resolve this in an amicable manner - they want me to bring in the old pipes so that they can take a look.
Hopefully they will refund a portion of their charge. Apparantly, the 1st plumbing company owner has a license but his employee doesn't, so I have a call into the local government dept to inquire as to this being legal and also if the 1st guy isn't a licensed plumber can they charge me at the same rate as a licensed tradesman. Who would have thought a simple garbage disposal replacement would be such an expensive experience - time to get a boyfriend I guess, LOL !! Thanks again
Jen

Old 05-04-04, 12:14 PM
I am with Dunbar on this one!! I'm not a licensed plumber, but please #1 did a crap job of it. #2 made things look pretty and did the job right, however, he could have done it all in PVC...just wouldn't have looked a nice. Not sure if he had to cut into the wall to remove #1's mess or not, but still sounds like a lot of money for the job.

Before you go looking for a boy friend......remember plumber #1 was probally someones boyfriend or husband, choose well!!