Moving the kitchen sink

Old 04-29-04, 11:08 PM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Moving the kitchen sink

Hello.. I am planning to completely remodel my kitchen. I would like to move my kitchen sink about 4 - 5 ft into the corner. There will be a built in dishwasher next to the sink, in between the sink and existing plumbing. My father will be moving the gas line for the stove, and installing my cabinets. He tells me I "don't want" a corner sink (but I DO!) and it would be too hard to move the sink. (He'll be doing the plumbing too..) Since I have to remove the old drywall anyhow, how hard would it be to move the sink over? (Dad is a retired union pipefitter, BTW, so he does know what he's doing..) A co-worker who claims to have been a plumber in the past thinks it shouldn't be too hard. He estimates it should take about two hours, and cost around $20. He said I could notch the studs once the drywall was removed and run the new plumbing in the walls and reinforce it with some steel braces. He also said most codes require the sink to be within 5 feet of the venting. (I should be right there..) and to run the pipe at an incline.. (of course..) Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is correct.

If all goes well, you should be right in the range you gave.

Old 05-01-04, 08:52 AM
By corner sink, do you mean you will be cutting into the mitre of a countertop?

For instance, an "L" shaped counter and you are putting in the joint of the countertops...

This can cause problems with the countertop with moisture or water getting into the mitre and causing the particle board to expand on the normal run of the mill countertops.

Otherwise, you have a good plan.

Old 05-02-04, 12:04 AM
jillofalltrades
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Eww.. I hadn't thought about that, but you bring up a very good point. Also, since the dishwasher will be to the left of the sink, a friend at work pointed out that I might have trouble rinsing dishes and accessing the dishwasher. Once again maybe Father knows best and I'll forget the corner sink.

Old 05-02-04, 11:30 PM
Jill,

Don't give up so easily!

If you move the sink, you'll have to replace the countertop. Putting the sink in a corner is no big thing -- let the countertop installers cut the hole for it. They do it all the time, and I have yet to see one fail, AS LONG AS the homeowner is a little careful about wiping up water around the sink. And if you do go with the corner sink, the cabinets have to be designed accordingly. Again, no big thing, as long as you desing things to be that way.

Love mine, and I wouldn't trade it for nothin'!!

Which side the DW is going to be on isn't an issue.