Drain pipe location question

Old 05-06-04, 04:14 AM
Question Drain pipe location question

Hi all,

We are currently doing a slow remodel on our kitchen in an old 1920's midwestern farmhouse. The kitchen counters are in the shape of an L where both sides are about the same length. At the end of one of the legs is the stove and the end of the other leg is the doorway to the basement so neither counter can easily be extended in length. Currently the sink is in the corner and we just HATE it there so we want to move it to the right so that it is facing the windows. Currently there is no dishwasher but we want to add one.

Here is my problem, there is not enough room on either leg of the L for the dishwasher and sink to be side by side and therefore easily share the same drain. Is this a problem? Is there any big concern or reason not to go with two drain pipes?

Also with the vent pipe, what diameter and material does it need to be? Currently it is some huge diameter copper pipe (1 1/2 inch). If possible I wouldn't mind going to a different material (PVC?) and different diameter, so what are my options. The entire vent pipe is exposed so we can change it completely out.

Thanks much!

Kirsten

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-04, 05:30 AM
You need to look at a shallow, single side outlet sink, 6 inches or less, and then use an undersink dishwasher. The single side outlet means it's still in the bottom of the sink but offset to the left or right hand side. Moen and Kolher are the brands I buy for this application.
You will ultimately have a 15" to 18" door for the bottom of the sink where you can mount the garbage disposal and hook dishwasher to it. It depends on how much room you have to play with on counter space.

Go to home depot or lowes and look at their dishwashers and sinks.

Why change the vent pipe material? Is it leaking or ...? ABS or PVC along with copper or even cast iron are options, but why?

Good luck, what you want to do is just a little planning, but very doable.

Old 05-06-04, 11:31 AM
Thanks. I hadn't realized there were those options in sinks and dishwashers so I will go look for them at the local Home Depot.

As to the vent pipe, it is unsightly. Currently the drain is in the corner of the L and the vent pipe goes from the drain pipe under the sink straight through the wall into the next room where it comes out of the wall goes up the wall, across the ceiling and through the opposite wall into the garage where it goes up through the ceiling, into the attic over the garage and out a roof vent. I am assuming that this was a remodel done a while back as the garage is an add-on to the original house so the room that the pipe transverses across used to be the outside of the house (as evidenced by the wood siding still present on the inside wall of the room). We are planning on moving the pipe to travel in the corners of the room and ceiling so that we don't have to work out another roof vent. We will probably build a soffit or something to enclose the pipe and as we want to install lighting at that end of the room we will use the enclosure to also house the wiring. It would just be nice if we could use a smaller diameter pipe and use PVC as it is a bit easier to work with for us.

I did see in a plumbing book the drain and vent system for an island that ran the vent down into the basement but I really don't want to get that complicated if I can help it.

Any more thoughts are welcome. I am thrilled to have this resource! Thanks!

Old 05-06-04, 04:00 PM
You need to use an 1 1/2" pipe for the vent. Technically, you could do it in
1 1/4", and that is smallest code allowed, but just keep it at 1 1/2".
PVC will work just great. For the copper to plastic transition, use a rubber "fernco" in the 1 1/2" size.

Now for the run, could you just go straight up and out the roof?