Info on replacing a p-trap

Old 05-06-04, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Info on replacing a p-trap

I am looking for info on replacing a broken p-trap in the main sewer line under the basement floor slab. I am an experienced diy, but need some good do's and don'ts for this project. I have recieved have received one quote so far for $1200. I am sure I can do this, but want some other opinions first. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-04, 10:08 PM
Question

If your mentioning a house trap, in my area, they are removed, not to be installed back in the line. These are considered running S-traps which are illegal in the state of Kentucky.

Your area might still allow them.

Do you know how deep it is?

These can be fun

Old 05-07-04, 04:21 AM
In the corner of my basement I have two pipes coming up from the floor. One they called a cleanout, the other is a trap, both only 2-3 feet under the slab. They tell me the trap is busted, you can look in with a flashlight and see the mud. I know I need to get a couple other quotes first, but I wanted an unbiased opinion also, one without dollar signs in their eyes. Thanks

Old 05-07-04, 05:41 AM
Sure sounds like a house trap from the discription.

Regardless, how much do you think it will cost to bust up the area around around the drain, dig a hole deep enough to work in, and replace the trap with a short piece of pipe with a new cleanout. Then putting everything back as it was. This is what you are looking at.

Get 3 estimates, talk to the plumbers and see how they plan on repairing this.

Old 05-08-04, 07:43 AM
Is there something special to use underground to do this repair, or can I use pvc with a rubber boot type connection to the old cast iron?

Old 05-08-04, 09:48 AM
Yes. PVC piping is permissable for underground use (SCH40) and Rubber fernco's are permissable also.

Basically mimic what you see underground. Take a picture of the piping dug up and post it to www.photobucket.com and provide the link to this site.