outside faucet leaks under house when running

Old 05-17-00, 04:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a problem. When I turn on my outside faucet (attached to the house), water gushes out of the pipes under the house. When I turn it back off, it stops. What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-00, 07:03 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm not an expert but I've dealt with a similar problem before. Since you say this is happening on your outside faucet but inside the house I'd guess that you have a burst pipe just inside your home. Most exterior faucets have a very long valve mechanisim so that when you shut them off the water flow actually stops well inside the house (generally 12" - 24" inside). They are constructed this way to help prevent freezing of the line in winter... by keeping the water back away from the cold exterior wall of your home. Unfortunately, if your faucet has frozen and burst (or cracked for whatever reason) downstream from the valve seat you would not know it until you open that faucet for the first time and the leak would occur on the inside of you home, not the outside.

If you left a hose connected to your faucet during any freezing weather then its a safe bet that the cold water left in the hose (even a small amount will do the trick) and faucet line will have frozen and burst the fixture.

If this is where your problem lies I know of only one solution... replace the entire faucet from the valve seat on out to the faucet and valve on the exterior. It's not a difficult thing to do if you can easily get at the entire faucet mechanism. In my case I had to knock a big whole in one wall just to get at the break. It was no fun.

Best of luck.

Old 05-17-00, 08:20 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:
Originally posted by garyellis:
I have a problem. When I turn on my outside faucet (attached to the house), water gushes out of the pipes under the house. When I turn it back off, it stops. What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Gary

These can be tricky to replace, you say under the house.

If it is mounted properly it should unscrew from the outside.

Now if the pipe feels spoogy whily trying the unscrew it, stop, the chances are it's not secure and you could twist the pipe it attaches to.

At this time go under house find the bibb and you will have to remove it from under there.

Oh one more thing, don't forget to turn the water off to house before trying to remove the bibb.

Best Of Luck Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com