Water Heater - Pilot Works not hot water

Old 05-20-00, 06:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi
My Pilot light is working on my 7 year old water heater, but it won't come ON to make hot water. In the past I have had pilot light issues and a leaking relief valve. Any help? [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-00, 05:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Hihilmeup007

The pilot light may be ON but if the control knob isn't in the ON position, the burner will not turn on.

Check that three position pilot knob and be positive it is in the "ON" position. If it is then check the temperature setting dial on the front of the control. That must be set to the NORMAL setting.

If that is also set correctly and your still not getting hot water, contact your local gas utility company and request an appliance service check. The problem may just be an incorrect setting or restricted pilot.

A restricted pilot will not apply enough heat to the thermocouple to open the gas valve, yet it will still allow the pilot to be on. A simple cleaning by the gas company person will correct this.

Good Luck
TomBartco

Old 05-21-00, 05:31 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:
Originally posted by TomBartco:
Hi hilmeup007

The pilot light may be ON but if the control knob isn't in the ON position, the burner will not turn on.

Check that three position pilot knob and be positive it is in the "ON" position. If it is then check the temperature setting dial on the front of the control. That must be set to the NORMAL setting.

If that is also set correctly and your still not getting hot water, contact your local gas utility company and request an appliance service check. The problem may just be an incorrect setting or restricted pilot.

A restricted pilot will not apply enough heat to the thermocouple to open the gas valve, yet it will still allow the pilot to be on. A simple cleaning by the gas company person will correct this.

Good Luck
TomBartco

Tom
thanks for the info. The pilot is staying On and I have confirmed the control knob in the right position. About 9 months ago the pilot kept going out, a friend said "push the thermocouple a little closer to the pilot", this worked until now.
A couple other tidbits that may be clues. This is an A.O. Smith, Power Shot water heater. It has a forced air fan/vent on top instead of a normal one, this pushes air to the outside when the heater is heating the water. This is plugged into the wall and seems to run all the time now (I now have it unplugged, and the control knob to off for the time being). An electrical lead goes from the fan to some sort of regulator where the gas line enters the heater, it usually turns on when the water heater is warming. Could this also be the problem? Thanks for your help.