Messed up bathtub/shower

Old 05-23-00, 08:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Our tub/shower is all messed up. It's fairly old, so I'm sure the inner workings of the faucets/drain are just worn out.

First off, the shower stopped working - you can get hot or cold water out, but not both, and what water does come out is not enough to actually take a shower.

So we were taking baths, but now the drain has stopped working. If you wiggle it, sometimes it will drain, but it mostly just drains really slowly. I know it's not a clog. This drain has one of those levers that you push down to drain, raise up to stop it up, and the lever is barely moving in any direction.

Any ideas on if I can repair this myself...

Old 05-23-00, 12:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I'm not a plumber, but sounds like you have a problem with the diverter valve to the shower. If you have single lever, remove it, or if you have individual faucets with shower/tub diverter in middle, remove middle valve. Take whole works to hardware store, and repair/replace as necessary. If you can't get to the hexagonal part of the valve body with a crescent wrench, you will have to get a set (rent/borrow/buy) of valve sockets to fit over stem onto hexagonal part (must be exact size) to remove. May have cartridge type with retaining clip. Have to see which. The drain problem can be fixed by removing/adjusting/repairing the trip lever assembly. Remove two bolts in overflow plate beside lever. Pull whole assembly out. Make sure that all linkage is o.k. You can adjust it, if necessary. You will see how, once you have it out. You can do-it-yourself. Good Luck! If you have problems, come back in here, and one of the pro plumbers will help you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: