tank leaking?!

Old 05-24-00, 12:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

I replaced all the innards of my tank this past weekend because it was leaking. I have never done this before. The tank still leaks. I believe it is happening between the tank and the base. I haven't overtightened the screws, so I know it is not that. Would the depth of how far the bottom of the overflow pipe make a difference? I don't know if they make different sizes. Also, I know a toilet is supposed to sweat, but I don't know how much. I lowered the level in the tank to the bottom, with some water left in, and it didn't leak. Does this mean the tank is cracked somewhere above, or was there just less pressure on the gaskets? It is an older toilet, an American Standard Plebe. I don't want to replace the base, as it fine and would be a nightmare with my floor. How do I know what tank to get if you think it needs to be replaced? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-00, 01:10 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:
Originally posted by bobpullum:
I replaced all the innards of my tank this past weekend because it was leaking. I have never done this before. The tank still leaks. I believe it is happening between the tank and the base. I haven't overtightened the screws, so I know it is not that. Would the depth of how far the bottom of the overflow pipe make a difference? I don't know if they make different sizes. Also, I know a toilet is supposed to sweat, but I don't know how much. I lowered the level in the tank to the bottom, with some water left in, and it didn't leak. Does this mean the tank is cracked somewhere above, or was there just less pressure on the gaskets? It is an older toilet, an American Standard Plebe. I don't want to replace the base, as it fine and would be a nightmare with my floor. How do I know what tank to get if you think it needs to be replaced? Thank you!

Bob did you put on a new tank to bowl gasket, the spongee think between the tank and bowl?

Best Regarda Plumber2000

www.atozplumbing.com

Old 05-24-00, 01:30 PM
Visiting Guest
I did use a new spongy-type gasked I bought with the repair kit.

Old 05-24-00, 01:38 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:
I did use a new spongy-type gasked I bought with the repair kit.

Make sure everything is tight but not overtight. Does it leak only when you flush the toilet or leaks even if the tank is full

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 05-24-00, 02:21 PM
Visiting Guest
That is hard to tell. I know the water appears in the area between the bowl and the tank after it sits for a little while, but it did seem to be drier before a flushing occured. I had dried the gasket, put the tank back on, replaced the screws, etc, and then it seemed to be holding. Then a friend used it and the water had started leaking again. Not at the screws, though, I checked them.

Thanks for your help on all this!

Old 05-24-00, 04:24 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:
That is hard to tell. I know the water appears in the area between the bowl and the tank after it sits for a little while, but it did seem to be drier before a flushing occured. I had dried the gasket, put the tank back on, replaced the screws, etc, and then it seemed to be holding. Then a friend used it and the water had started leaking again. Not at the screws, though, I checked them.

Thanks for your help on all this!

Here is the way I like to do the tank to bowl kits.

In This Order

Bolt, rubber washer, slide throuh hole in tank, add rubber washer, metal washer, and then the bolt, tighten it up tight

Do the same with other tank holes,

Now put on Sponge Gasket, set tank on bowl and use the next metal washer and bolts to pull down the tank to the bowl.

This works everytime without a leak.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 05-24-00, 04:48 PM
Visiting Guest
I didn't know there was a nut that went between the tank and the bowl. There wasn't one before, so I didn't do it. I noticed in the replacement package there were two nuts, as well as two hand- tightening nuts. I might be a little confused here.
How do you tighten everything before you put the sponge gasket on? I put the sponge gasket on, placed the tank on the bowl, then slid in the bolt/rubber washer thru to the other side with another rubber washer(between the bowl and the tank), then a washer and wingnut underneath to tighten.

Sorry about my confusion. Let me know what I've done wrong. You mention bolt where I think you mean nut in your last reply. Thanks again!

Old 05-24-00, 05:59 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:
I didn't know there was a nut that went between the tank and the bowl. There wasn't one before, so I didn't do it. I noticed in the replacement package there were two nuts, as well as two hand- tightening nuts. I might be a little confused here.
How do you tighten everything before you put the sponge gasket on? I put the sponge gasket on, placed the tank on the bowl, then slid in the bolt/rubber washer thru to the other side with another rubber washer(between the bowl and the tank), then a washer and wingnut underneath to tighten.

Sorry about my confusion. Let me know what I've done wrong. You mention bolt where I think you mean nut in your last reply. Thanks again!

That is juat the way I do it, some kits come with extra nuts ans washers, your kit did not, but the reason I do it that way is cuase I like to make sure I get the water tight seal on the tank

This way if it leaks I will know it is the sponge gasket diong it and not the bolts,

When you changes puts in the tolilet did you also replave the center flush valve also?

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 05-24-00, 11:30 PM
Visiting Guest
I will try what you suggested with tightening the bolts. I did replace the center flush valve. Could I have tightened this too much?

Thanks again.

Old 05-25-00, 06:54 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:
I will try what you suggested with tightening the bolts. I did replace the center flush valve. Could I have tightened this too much?

Thanks again.

Make sure the center flush valve got tight also.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing,com