Alert! Hot water heater recall

Old 05-27-00, 05:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Two days ago I submitted a question concering a white granular substance that was clogging the screens in my faucet. A response from Tom Bartco prompted me to contact my local water dept. and a local plumbing contractor. What I discovered is this:

A class action suit against a number of water heater manufacturers has resulted in recall of a substantial number of hot water heaters installed between about 1991-1997 due to defective dip tubes. These apparently disintegrate, causing formation of a white powder that can result in low water pressure, clogging, and assorted related problems. I called the claims hotline, gave them the manufacturer (Bradford White, although other makes were also involved), model #, and serial # of my hot water heater. I was informed that anyone having reduced pressure and/or presence of a white powdery substance were considered an emergency situation. I have been informed that I will have my hot water heater repaired and plumbing system flushed within 5 days. I have not been able to determine if this substance is harmful. So, BE ALERT!! The claims hotline is: 1-800-3290561. I would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge of this problem and particularly whether it puts us a risk.

Old 05-27-00, 10:06 PM
Visiting Guest
The white stuff is just bits of plastic, it's not dangerous to humans or anything, but it does clog up your faucets and stuff. Most plumbers will replace your dip tube for free because they can recoup their money from the manufacturer by filling out a form at their supply house. At least that's the way we do it here in Oregon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: