Removing Drain from upstairs bathtub

Old 06-01-00, 04:45 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an upstairs bathtub that has a corroded pipe. This pipe runs from the tub drain to the tee. I have cut away a portion of the ceiling and removed the pipe. The end that went into the tub drain was so corroded that it is still in the tub drain. Is there a way I can remove the drain from inside the tub? I could take more of the ceiling away and use the pipe wrench, but if I can remove it by loosening it from inside the tub it would save more ceiling repair. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-00, 04:48 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff:
I have an upstairs bathtub that has a corroded pipe. This pipe runs from the tub drain to the tee. I have cut away a portion of the ceiling and removed the pipe. The end that went into the tub drain was so corroded that it is still in the tub drain. Is there a way I can remove the drain from inside the tub? I could take more of the ceiling away and use the pipe wrench, but if I can remove it by loosening it from inside the tub it would save more ceiling repair. Please advise.

Jeff you will need room the work on the pipe, there is no other way, even a plumber like me could not wrench on a pipe with no room to do it, so sorry to tell you this but you will need to open the ceiling more then yu have it now.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 06-01-00, 06:28 PM
Visiting Guest
There is a tool called a dumb bell, some people call it a spud wrench. It goes down inside the tub shoe. You put it inside and use a wrench to turn it from the top side of the tub. If that doesn't work you can use a sawsall to cut it out from the top, but be very, very careful or you will damage the tub.