Water, hard, salt softner HELP

Old 06-04-00, 05:03 AM
Visiting Guest
I purchased a new home last sept. It has well water, and a softner. The water taste terrible. There is a white buildup around the outside of all pipe joints. It seems as though too much salt has gotten through the pipes. I bypassed the softner and waited a few weeks. Spots on glasses and shower became worse. I recently added a magnetic softner. 2 weeks water still tastes salty. Has anyone had a problem like this? Or does anyone know what I can do. My fear is all my pipes are clogged with something (salt, calcium...). I have good water presure and my well is 350' deep. Please help,
Thanks Dan

Old 06-04-00, 03:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Dan, I don't know about your well water, but water from a water softener usually tastes a little salty. The calcium and magnesium from the hard water is exchanged through the media tank, which is regenerated by the salt brine tank. This slight salty taste is normal, but you may have something else causing an unpleasant taste in your water. The white deposits around your pipe joints should be nothing to do with your softener. If you have good water pressure, you might try adding a carbon filter to your system to see if that helps the taste. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: