Copper gas line

Old 05-25-04, 12:32 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Copper gas line

the 2000 UPC now allows for the use of braized copper pipe to be used for gas line in areas where the hydrogen sulfide content is below .03 parts per 100 cubic feet. (section 1210.1) I was considering using it for a project but I got into a discussion with a guy who used to do corrosion control for the gas company years ago. He said I was crazy to use copper no matter what the book said. I looked at some old posts and I see some people share that view.

Are there any pro-copper-gas plumbers out there? Is their more to this controversy than meets the eye? You would figure that the codes need to pass through so many reviews and commitees before it gets passed that it must be OK, right?

Old 05-25-04, 09:15 PM
If you are talking about above ground installation, I seriously am against it.

Recently in Ky they banned the use of all copper installations of gas lines to water heaters.

Why? Because the day and age of DIY'rs could come across this piping, ASSUMING it is a water line, and go to remove or repair the pipe and KABOOM!

You have a accident waiting to happen.

For underground piping, it is cheaper to use PE piping, it is yellow and can be transitioned to IPS threads easily.

Local codes always supercede UPC codes, they copy off of them, but there are interpretations that could be discussed for months, but your inspector has the final say.

Old 05-26-04, 10:16 PM
P
Part of the code is that the copper pipe has to have continuous marking that says "Gas Pipe" clearly on it to prevent the KABOOM scenario. I was going to use copper for a long run out to an outside BBQ but I started having my doubts after I talked to that one guy. PE is great but I dont use it that much and my supplier wanted to sell me a roll of 300', which I would seldom use. I ended up using conduit and tracpipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: