toilet flushing

Old 06-08-00, 09:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Everytime I flush my toilet, I have to hold the handle down until it's finished flushing. If I lift it up, the toilet stops flushing. I figure this is some sort of chain and/or flapper related problem, but what, more specifically? Do I need a shorter chain? Longer? Or something else entirely?

Old 06-08-00, 10:58 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tristan:
Everytime I flush my toilet, I have to hold the handle down until it's finished flushing. If I lift it up, the toilet stops flushing. I figure this is some sort of chain and/or flapper related problem, but what, more specifically? Do I need a shorter chain? Longer? Or something else entirely?<HR>

You will need to install a new flapper, this will solve the problem.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 06-08-00, 11:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Sorry for being this way but...why a new flapper? To me, the length of the chain seems more likely to be the cause.

Old 06-08-00, 11:09 AM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tristan:
Sorry for being this way but...why a new flapper? To me, the length of the chain seems more likely to be the cause.<HR>

A flapper can loose it's boyance over time, if the flapper is old then replacing it is the best bet. Sure the chain could be too short in this case, but, I have reason to believe the toilet was ok in the past and is now acting up.

This is what you can do to test it, left the tank lid pull the flipper all the way up using the chain, let go if the flapper drops before the toilet finishes it's flush, then it's the flapper, if the flpper stays afloat then shorten the chain.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

[This message has been edited by Plumber2000 (edited June 08, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: