sink drain pipe in basement

Old 05-28-04, 08:33 AM
cdleeman
Visiting Guest
sink drain pipe in basement

I need to tap into my existing 1 1/2" cast iron drain in my basement to run a pvc drain pipe for a sink. I've read before about needing to melt and pour hot metal to seal the drain connection, etc.

Is all this necessary or can I just open up the existing cast iron drain and simply run a pvc drain pipe into it?

Also, anyone have links about the proper procedure?

Old 05-29-04, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The answer to both of your questions is no.
Cut a section out of the cast iron drain pipe (reciprocating saw with metal-cutting blade) and use a 1.5" PVC street T connected on both ends with no-hub couplings to the cast iron. Turn the T up.
You will need a 1.5" to 1.25" PVC adapter between the drain assembly and PVC pipe.
How is this vented? Distance? Or are you going to use an air admittance valve?
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-01-04, 08:09 AM
cdleeman
Visiting Guest
vent

I actually have no idea how I'll vent it yet. I wasn't even sure if I would have to...

The drian pipe I'm tapping into comes out of the floor less than a foot, and has a cap on it. There is an existing cast iron pipe running right alongside it, which is used as the main drain for the house. The two pipes are actually touching, so I'm not sure I can saw off the top of the lower pipe without affecting the other one.

Old 06-01-04, 08:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That drain pipe with the cap sounds like a roughed-in basement drain for a sink. It won't have a trap, but it should already be vented (although not necessarily).
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: