Rust in hot water

Old 05-03-00, 04:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I am having alot of rust coming out my hot water, I have recently installed new water softner. Any suggestions for removing rust from hot water heater as I think this is the source

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-00, 07:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:Triumph67

My suggestion: <my two cents worth>

If your having a rusty water problem on the hot water outlets, try flushing the water heater. It may help.

Some of the rust may be coming from the old galvanized pipe {{if you don't already have copper lines.}} In that case, a full house repiping may be the only long term solution.

Good Luck

------------------
TomBartco: Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 06-10-00, 09:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Having been in the water heating industry for almost thirty years, I wish I had a nickel for every customer who swore that the the rusty water was coming from the failure of the water heater. Think of your water heater as a big pipe. The water flows in to it rapidly. It may be carrying rust from the mains or a bad well point. When it goes in to the water heater (big pipe) it loses velocity and pressure so, whatever came in will fall to the bottom. Each time you draw water the dip tube will agitate the sediment at the bottom and it will eventually leave the top of the tank. Try this test. Take a clean piece of bedsheet and pull it up tight over the faucet. Turn on the COLD water full and time it for about two minutes. Now look at the piece of cloth. Chances are that you will see a nice round tan or brown circle. This will prove that the problem is in the COLD water and not the water heater. There is absolutely no charge for this tidbit of info!

Old 06-10-00, 11:34 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Triumph67:
I am having alot of rust coming out my hot water, I have recently installed new water softner. Any suggestions for removing rust from hot water heater as I think this is the source<HR>

I have ran across a water heater once that when ever hot water was used the water would come out of the faucets rusty looking. We thought it could be from pipes.

Clue one, pipes were copper, hummmmm..... it can't be from the pipes.

Ok now we thought ok flush the tank out, it was flushed out and we went back out about 2 months later.

Guess what, yep the tank was rusting away, probably anorod was not working no more.

When did we come to the comclusion it was the tank?

When we went back out cause the nipples were leaking at top of heater. hummmmmmm...... ok so we changed the nipples, but, it still leaked at the top, yep the water heater tank was on the verge of total failure.

This could be the tank.

How old is the tank?

If the tank is 15+ years replace it.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com