water softener

Old 06-07-00, 06:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Our water softener is not softening the water. Several months ago, we dug a new well, and when the new well was chlorinated, the plumbers bypassed our softener, as they should have. We forgot it was bypassed, and added far too much salt to our bin, always thinking it was used up because the water wasn't salty. We finally unbypassed the machine, and when we looked carefully into the bin, we realized it is almost solid salt about 5/6 of the way up the water level. Will removing most of the salt help the unit function again? What is keeping it from working? I know this sounds stupid, but I have little understanding of the mechanics of the machine, and why too much salt would keep it from working. Thanks for any info.

[This message has been edited by Judy (edited June 07, 2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-00, 09:43 PM
Visiting Guest
You could have a salt bridge meaning water is never getting to the salt to regenerate. Start removing the salt from the tank. If there is a salt bridge you will find a large void as you are taking salt out. On the other hand if the salt pellets are completely disolved then they are probably blocking the tank float causing the unit to basically think it has performed its task. Do you still have good pressure or does the unit have an automatic bypass so if the unit is malfunctioning you still get water.

Old 06-12-00, 08:15 PM
Visiting Guest
thanks for your suggestion, Joe. We are getting water...I'll check the saltbridge theory and post again :-)