Bathroom Plumbing

Old 06-18-00, 01:11 PM
Visiting Guest
I must replace the tub surround in my bathroom.The tile at the faucett has pushed through. I have a kit, a new tub assembly, and other needed tools. I was told to use "greenboard" where the soft drywall is now. I want to do this myself, but I was also told you have to have a good knowledge of plumming to replace the pipes that made the leak in the first place. Are these things true?

Old 06-19-00, 12:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I my self just did the same repair. "Green Board" or "Green Wall" is actually sheetrock that is moisture resistant (but not water proof) It sounds like you have to replace the pipe to the faucets as well (based on your question) When you replace the pipes that lead to the faucet it self, you have to "sweat" the pipes, meaning cleaning the copper tubeing, applying flux paste to it, heat it up with a small torch, then while the pipe is hot & torch removed, you apply solder (bad speller) to it around the seam. The flux actually pulls the solder in to seal it so water does not leak.

I know this will not totally help, but should give you some direction. Go to the local hardware store, & pick up a book on plumbing to learn about sweating pipes together. Take your time, & double check all measurements. Good luck.

Old 06-19-00, 06:12 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by KITTEN2000:
I was told to use "greenboard" where the soft drywall is now<HR>

I would recommend you use cement board instead of greenboard. Greenboard is moisture resistant but by no means moisture proof. Moisture will wick up in greenboard, and before you know it, it will turn into mush.

A good brand of cement board is Dens-shield. It's more expensive than Durock, for example, but it's lighter and easier to work with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: