3 story apartment water leak

Old 06-17-04, 03:28 AM
Richrfd
Visiting Guest
3 story apartment water leak

I live on the first floor of a 3-story apartment/condo and have water leaking down a big black pipe in the wall in the kitchen. I've found the pipe after busting through the sheetrock. The water seems to come form the outside of this pipe after i hear the neighbours above me flush,etc. They say they have no leaks and I'm going crazy with a bucket rigged up next to this pipe and a little thing I rapped around the pipe to divert the water into the bucket instead of on the floor. Also, I noticed one time that the water in this bucket was blue in clolor.
What can I do to get to the root of the problem to stop this flooding since I don't know if it is the 2nd floor or 3rd floor tenants that have a leak they are unaware of?
richrfd

Old 06-17-04, 05:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What type of pipe is the black pipe? Plastic ABS? Cast iron?
This is the main drain/waste/vent stack apparently serving all three floors.
The blue water is most likely coming from a toilet tablet above you.
The leak may be above you, or it may be higher at your level. The wall will have to be opened up to find it and repair it.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 06-20-04, 01:04 AM
Richrfd
Visiting Guest
Leak

Dear Mike,
There are two black pipes and only one appears to be leaking.
Is there a way to investigate which pipe belongs to whom-as in the 2nd floor or the 3rd floor without having to expose the walls?
Thanks,
Rich

ps=the pipe is about 4 inches wide and seems to be made of plastic

Old 06-20-04, 06:53 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Are you renting or do you own this place?

Old 06-20-04, 07:19 AM
The easiest way to determine which drain/waste/vent stack belongs to who is to have someone above you flush a toilet and just listen for the falling water with your ear to the pipes.
(BTW, Ron had the key question...do you own or rent?) If the leak is above you, it really isn't your problem to correct. You're just getting the leak damage from someone else's problem.
This leak may be from a failed wax ring seal under a toilet above you, and not from the dwv stack itself. Find out who uses blue toilet tablets, and that may pinpoint it right there.
Determine which place above you that the stack belongs to. Then have them pull their toilet to check and replace the wax ring. If that doesn't correct the problem, they will have to open up the walls to find and repair the leak.
My bet is on a bad wax ring above you. They (or a landlord) should be responsible for damages and repairs.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-21-04, 05:43 AM
Richrfd
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys,
I suggested the wax seal problem to both people about 8 months ago. Still they insist "we have no leaks" Go figure right? If I could get building plans then I would not have to bother anyone-how to do that?
Me and the condo association aren't getting along right now so I'm quit certain this display of "so what" can be explained easily.
Thanks
Rich

Old 06-21-04, 06:16 PM
The health dept can easily force this issue to be fixed. One phone call is all it takes. The only problem being that they may have to shut off the water to the whole complex to fix it or until its fixed

Old 06-23-04, 01:11 PM
Richrfd
Visiting Guest
3 story leak

Much Appreciation To All,
Thankyou all for your advise and interest. I called the health board and immediatly received a call from the association-but yet no action taken
Will update
Thanks again
rich

Old 06-24-04, 07:15 AM
If no action is taken in a timely manner then call the Health Dept again. You may not be the most popular person in the complex, but you will have forced someone to address the health hazard that is affecting your home and possibly others. Sewer leakage contains all kinds of nasty bacteria and other assorted germs that cause sickness that have wiped out communities years ago.. Force this issue to be resolved.

Old 06-24-04, 12:10 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have to agree with all the above. You need to get this repaired and the owner of the faulty toilet should be held accountable for damages in your apartment. Of course if you don't mind catching other peoples urine in a bucket and disposing of it for them, than just sit back and enjoy.

The fact that you have blue water to help track it down may help. Who has blue tablets in their toilet?

I don't believe it is going to be as easy as replacing the wax ring. If this was the case, I think the faulty toilet would show signs of leakage also. However, if the sweep below the floor of the toilet, or more likely where the plumbing bends into the wall and goes through the top/bottom plate of the wall were to leak, no leak would show up at the faulty toilet.

We have this problem here quite abit, as we have earthquakes. If the contractor didn't leave enough room for the pipes to move a little, than they crack and leak. Depending where the leak is, can make it a real pain to repair.

The owners of the condo are going to have to suck it up and realize, several walls will have to be cut into, maybe even a couple of ceilings before the actual leak is located.

Soon you will have mold growing inside the walls, which will bring in another health issue.

Is there any evidence of the leak on the outside walls? We have stucco buildings here, for the most part. Sometimes you will be able to see a discolored spot on the outside wall, if it has been leaking for a while.

Old 07-05-04, 03:56 AM
Richrfd
Visiting Guest
water leak

Thanks Again To All,
Just received letter from Property Mgmt. advising " as a responsible owner I must submit a plumber's report diagnosing the leak in my unit". Uponwith it will be presented to the Board of Directors for determination. Also mentioned was she herself is in contact with Health Dept advising them that maintenance personel inspected the unit above and determined nothing is leaking into"my unit" below.
Sounds like Property Mgmt for dummies 2nd edition.

I think maybe I'll just submit "disposal fee's" and make a little $$.
Anyway another leak in the bathroom has started from the ceiling now when I hear the person taking a shower above me. Called out the police as a witness for documentation-forgot to ask for his plumber's license.

The soggy saga continues,
Richrfd
ps-Sempter Fi-X 0331 Camp Magaretta

Old 07-07-04, 09:49 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Richrfd,
I feel for you! Another reason, NOT to buy into a condo.
As a "responsible Prop. Manager" shouldn't they get a certified plumber to verify there is no leak upstairs. Or can you use the maintenance personel to verify there is a leak downstairs? It really doesn't take a plumber to realize you have water coming from places you shouldn't have water coming from. Maybe you can call in a weatherman too!
I would venture to guess the leak is in the down pipe coming through the top/bottom plate, or there are two differant leaks. Sounds like the insulation and sheetrock may have gotten so satuated that the water is now finding other areas to leak through.
Be careful, I have seen light fixtures fall out, when the sheetrock can no longer hold the weight of the fixture because of the moisture. Don't let one of these things hit you or a young one in the head!!
Take some pictures, video or something to present to the board. It may come in handy later if this has to go to court or something silly like that. Call the Health Department, have them send out a stuctural engeenier and determine if the structure of the building has been effected. Go to the county building inspectors office and see if they can do anything. Keep good records of all letters, bills, and that so you can get the association to pay you back.

Semper Fi, Mac 1977 -1997 5947 ASRT Been there done that!

Old 07-08-04, 12:15 PM
Richrfd
Visiting Guest
water leak

Thanks Again for the help,
Spoke yesterday to public health and they will try to help but they are more concerned with commercial public health than personal health matters such as they say mine is. They suggested getting a plumber to back up my claims also. I explained that I don't need a plumber to come in to see water leaking and support my claim. It's a matter of politics here in New Orleans(as you may have heard in the newspapers concerning this region).
Anyway as I listen to "drip-drip-drip" into my favorite bucket it's just amazing how people toss aside any sort of reasonable thinking and assume the position of "well it ain't happening to me" attitude.
Rich
ps 29 palms-they eat well and have a pretty cool obstacle course-beautiful area.

Old 07-08-04, 01:33 PM
Take your trusty "favorite bucket" and wash the association members cars with the drip water. They say "nothing bad" is happening so there isn't anything bad in the bucket(tongue-in-cheek). Being a board member carries responsibilities and those include civil lawsuits.

You should be able to get a plumber in for a FREE estimate of what it would cost to repair the problem. This would inturn get the plumber out to see the problem and not take anything from your pockets. While the plumber is there just ask him to write down what he sees on the estimate and give a COPY of this to the association.

Your problem gives new meaning to the word ASSociation.
You have got to post back each time. We need to know where this goes.
Name of new soap opera "As DIY Turns"

Waiting paitently for next saga installment.

Old 07-10-04, 10:55 PM
Richrfd
Visiting Guest
3 story leak

All points noted and again Thanks,
Another week approaches so I'll keep y'all posted as this unfolds (or the sheetrock crumbles-which ever comes first).
I kinda like the car wash idea-good point.
Later
Rich

Old 07-11-04, 02:35 AM
Rich,
Sorry about your problems. With the newer information, it seems that the "blue water" from a toilet isn't from a wax ring as I first thought, but from a leak in the main drain/waste/vent stack system serving the condos above you.
Obviously, as noted above, sewer water is extremely unhealthy, not to mention getting mold damage, etc. from it. The cure can be expensive.
Call a plumber out immediately to document it. Take plenty of photos or video to backup your damage claims. You might as well go ahead and pull out the damaged sheetrock to expose what you can of it.
If they don't correct the problem immediately, consult an attorney. A written plumber's assessment of the problem should do it, but if it doesn't, a letter from an attorney should get their attention.
It is absurd for you to be having to endure that kind of "lack of response". This really doesn't seem to be your sole problem. You're just the only one getting the bad effects of it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 07-12-04, 04:22 PM
Richrfd
Visiting Guest
3 story leak

Thanks Mike and All Others Tyring to Help,
Just read your idea and will probably take that route. This has become such a pain in the rear, not to mention I feel a little bit of truely mis guided anomosity and truely exampled idiocity. I quit telling the maintenance guy hello-nothing incommon other than this problem-and as a witness he has no clue to much of anything.
But I got to laugh at it all, and just deal with it the best I can under the circumstances considering the "people" I'm dealing with.
We'll keep you updated soonest on results.
Thanks Again,
Rich in New Orleans

Old 07-27-04, 03:39 PM
Richrfd
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Finally some action-leak

Gentlemen,
I'm pleased to announce that the "plumber's code" department (from the local parish) came by. The guy checked it out, read the letter from managment, then called the manager from my place saying that "your're wrong"-- concerning the leak here, sugesting she provide a letter to his department concerning the problem with her knowledge that the problem will be fixed or face a violation fine of the plumber's code.
SOO anyway, have not heard anything from "her", but I've noticed a decline in the saturation( into the bucket) just since the call made by code inforcement.
After this is complete( and when ever if it is ) I'll need to probably get an attorney for the damages--I guess.
Rich

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: