Sewer Smell From Washer Drain

Old 07-12-00, 09:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Whenever my washing machine drains, sewer gas comes out of the drainpipe. I plan to check the vent in the attic. It joins others in a central vent pipe. The washer vent pipe is a 2" schedule 40 and I plan to cut it and flush it out then re-couple with a rubber boot type union.

What else should I look for or try?

Old 07-12-00, 04:17 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by usad:
Whenever my washing machine drains, sewer gas comes out of the drainpipe. I plan to check the vent in the attic. It joins others in a central vent pipe. The washer vent pipe is a 2" schedule 40 and I plan to cut it and flush it out then re-couple with a rubber boot type union.

What else should I look for or try?
<HR>

Make sure there is a trap on the line before it gets to the vent.

Best Regrads Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 07-12-00, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Plumber2000:
Make sure there is a trap on the line before it gets to the vent.

Best Regrads Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

<HR>

There is a trap. I ran a snake down the vent but I am still smelling sewer gas when the washer is running. Could it be siphoning the gas back through the drain pipe around the trap?

Old 07-12-00, 06:41 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by usad:
There is a trap. I ran a snake down the vent but I am still smelling sewer gas when the washer is running. Could it be siphoning the gas back through the drain pipe around the trap?

<HR>

After the washer finishes draining do you hear gurgling sounds at the trap?

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 07-12-00, 10:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I ran the snake down the drain at the washer and the cleanout in the garage. I think that did it, but it's late now, and I will have to wait until morning to find out. I didn't hear any gurgling at the trap. Hope this was just a build up of lint from the self cleaning washer. The washer instruction book mentioned that lint from the washer could cause the drain to siphon the gas into the room, if it builds up in the drainpipe. They even mention lint catcher kit to put on the drain hose!??!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: