smelly water

Old 06-27-00, 07:14 AM
Visiting Guest
The COLD water from my kitchen faucet often smells like rotten eggs. It starts to smell after the water has been running for 5-10 seconds and goes away after another 30 seconds or so. It only happens with that faucet and does not always happen. I have been in this house about 14 years, and the problem only started last summer. I thought perhaps it had something to do with the drought we experienced, since I have a well. It lasted all winter, however, even after the water table rose. Sometimes the smell is very noticeable, but others it is only faint. Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by btracy (edited June 27, 2000).]

Old 07-03-00, 01:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a similar problem with a couple of bathroom faucets. The smell come from both the cold and hot water, but lasts only two or three seconds. The oddest thing is that I am having this problem with only two of the six indoor faucets in my new home. So far, I have been unable to find a solution to this problem. See my June 10 posting. If I stumble upon a solution, I'll let you know.

Old 07-05-00, 05:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Glynn! You're the only one who has responded, so I guess this is a real conundrum. Let me know if you figure anything out.....

[This message has been edited by btracy (edited July 05, 2000).]

Old 07-13-00, 11:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I received some good information concerning my own problem with smelly water. I have two suggestions for you. First, check out the free advice you can get from some of the experts at AskMe.com. Go to the plumbing section. I highly recommend the expert who goes by the name JPOL, and another who goes by the name Gramps55. Second, do an internet search on iron bacteria and hydrogen sulfide. Also, check out the following site: http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/water/g1275.htm#indic for information concerning hydrogen sulfide. Finally, go to www.rheem.com to get information on the possibility of smelly water coming from your hot water heater. Once you get to the Rheem homepage, click on Water Heater Products, then click on Residential Techinical Services, then click on Technical Bulletins (located under the CAUTION icon), then click on Technical Service Bulletins, then click on bulletin #1206 and #1217. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: