rusty water

Old 07-12-00, 08:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have just finished remodeling our bathroom completely.(new everything) When I installed the tub faucet I used a short peice of threaded galvanized pipe to go from the copper elbow through the wall to the actual faucet. This worked fine except that now ever time you turn on the water a small amount( approx 1/2 cup of rusty water comes out. I suspect that the rust is caused by the galvanized pipe, even though it is new and was rated for water suppy. Is there any way of fixing this? Possibly coating pipe with something or do I need to replace galvanized pipe with something else? I read in the forum about some type of delectric union? Don't know what this is. Also pipe has brass fitting on it in the spicot itself. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-12-00, 02:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Yep, the rusty water is caused by the galvanzized pipe. Replace it with copper with threaded fittings on both ends (make sure that it is all the exact same length), and no more rusty water. Good Luck!

Old 07-15-00, 07:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Replaced the galvanized pipe with brass(couldn't find copper) and my problems are solved. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-15-00, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Brass will work just fine. The only way you would have been able to use copper would have been to get a couple of thread adapters and a length of pipe and sweat your own nipple together.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tonka55:
Replaced the galvanized pipe with brass(couldn't find copper) and my problems are solved. Thanks for the advice.<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: