Exterior Spigot leaking into the house

Old 07-08-04, 12:52 PM
fairfieldwine
Visiting Guest
Exterior Spigot leaking into the house

The outdoor hose spigot or supply line is apparently leaking into the house. However it only seems to leak when the spigot is turned on. If the pipe or valve was bad wouldn't it leak all the time? The pipe comes up through the slab and into the exterior wall. The outside is brick veneer and inside is drywall. We are getting water on the floor under the base board and soaking the carpet. Any suggestions before I start cutting a hole in the drywall.
Thanks Dennis

Old 07-08-04, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Can be you have a freeze proof hose bib there and when you turn it on it leaks but off is back in the home and it dont leak. Its like the shut off is 18" into the home. If I have it right what you have.

ED

Old 07-08-04, 03:39 PM
Agree with Ed. Is probably a frost-free that had a hose connected all winter,froze and broke. When the water is turned on the body of the (broken) fixture leaks.The seal is in the extreme rear of the faucet and would not leak when turned off.Good luck and post back.

Old 07-08-04, 03:42 PM
After you fix this, remember to remove all hoses from the spigots when temps are in the freezing range.

Old 07-09-04, 11:08 AM
fairfieldwine
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check it out tonight and report back how it goes.
Dennis

Old 07-28-06, 01:21 PM
P
I have this exact same problem, and I DID leave a hose connected all winter (living in Utah).

Come spring, I turned it on and it leaks into my brand new finished basement. However, when it's off, it doesn't leak.

So now that the generous experts here have identified it, how does a guy like me FIX this problem? I know absolutely zero about plumbing, etc. But with decent directions, I am competent enough to fix things around the house.

Any pictures or diagrams out there would be really helpful

Thanks

Old 07-28-06, 02:02 PM
Wink

Cut the ceiling out right where it is and see what you have there. Can be the bib c**k just screws on to the copper in the home if so get the same bibc**k They do come in different lengths turn the water off to the home if no shut off right there and put it on. Come winter be sure and take all hoses off the out side water outlets.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: