Repair sheared shower arm

Old 08-06-00, 01:27 PM
Visiting Guest
The shower arm (piece that shower heads connects to) is almost sheared off at the bolt it is joined into. So I'm looking for suggestions on how best to fix this.

When I try to remove the shower arm, it looks like it will completely break off flush with the pipe it is threaded into. Currently it is about 75% sheared, its just connected across the bottom.

Anyone know any methods for removing this pipe? It doesn't look like there will be any good piece of it left to grab with a wrench.

Is there anything to do to help to get the pipe dope to release?

thanks,
Marc

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-00, 02:38 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by marc:
The shower arm (piece that shower heads connects to) is almost sheared off at the bolt it is joined into. So I'm looking for suggestions on how best to fix this.

When I try to remove the shower arm, it looks like it will completely break off flush with the pipe it is threaded into. Currently it is about 75% sheared, its just connected across the bottom.

Anyone know any methods for removing this pipe? It doesn't look like there will be any good piece of it left to grab with a wrench.

Is there anything to do to help to get the pipe dope to release?

thanks,
Marc
<HR>

Marc,
Buy or borrow a tool called a 1/2" "easy-out". It can be tapped into the end of the 1/2" showerhead pipe that is broken off tightly enough to hold (but don't tap hard enough to damage threads of the fitting that it is screwed into). Use adjustable wrench to turn easy-out and broken pipe end out counter-clockwise. Wrap new showerhead pipe with 2-3 wraps (clockwise only) of teflon tape, or use pipe dope to prevent leaks. Good Luck!

Old 08-06-00, 03:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks, that sounds like just what I needed to know!

I'll have to bookmark this site, you guys (gals) are great.

Old 08-18-07, 09:03 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sheared shower arm

Having same problem.

Where can you find that easy-out tool.
No luck at Home Depot

Old 08-18-07, 09:41 PM
A
if you can't find easy outs at home centers, then the auto parts stores should definately have them--parts stores that sell tools. good luck

Old 08-18-07, 11:33 PM
P
the problem with this is the shower arm is 1/2" thread but is soooo much thinner than sch 40 pipe that a 1/2" internal wrench (at least the cheap ones they sell at hardware stores that have the eccentric cam type deal on them) won't work. you will probably find that the easy out that will fit the internal diameter of the shower arm is too long and bottoms out on the drop ear 90 that is in the wall. what i've had to do is buy the larger easy out and cut the last 1/2" or so off of it so it will fit. i have a set of proto internal wrenches that have enough adjustability to work on this exact problem and they have worked for me every single time.

this is the style that won't work
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/197962_front200.jpg

this is the style that will work
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/1/02738.jpg

Old 08-19-07, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Rather than hijacking a 7 year old post, start a new one with all the specs. It helps us keep the chronology intact.