Main Sewage Line

Old 07-09-04, 10:36 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Main Sewage Line

Is replacing the main line from the house to the city sewage connection a DIY project? Or should something that involved be left to the Pros? Tree roots are starting to invade the main line on a semi regular basis and I do believe I have the beginings of a compromised pipe. There is roughly 50 feet from the house to the city's cleanout that would have to be replaced. I have also heard of resleeving the pipe but don't have a firm grasp on what exactly takes place when that it done. Any assistance is greatly appreciated as I am growing weary of snaking the main line when it clogs.

Leslie

Old 07-09-04, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation

This is NOT normally a DIY'er project. Check your local and state plumbing codes to find out if you can do this.

There are also a lot of variables that can help you decide ,if allowed, to do this.
The main lines are usually burried 6'+ underground(backhoe and shoreing required), pipes are usually 3"-4"(require special tools to connect),The state and local municipalities want to insure ANYTHING connected to their lines is done correctly. Probably will need a permit and inspection.There are health concerns if leaks occur and the installer is responsible for cleanup of surrounding ground(very expensive).
Even if allowed I don't believe I would attempt this project.
Whatever you decide to do post back and let us know the results.
PS. some city sewer lines are in the middle of the street. Do you want to tear up the street to cure your problem?

Old 07-09-04, 06:49 PM
L
Originally Posted by majakdragon
This is NOT normally a DIY'er project. Check your local and state plumbing codes to find out if you can do this.

There are also a lot of variables that can help you decide ,if allowed, to do this.
The main lines are usually burried 6'+ underground(backhoe and shoreing required), pipes are usually 3"-4"(require special tools to connect),The state and local municipalities want to insure ANYTHING connected to their lines is done correctly. Probably will need a permit and inspection.There are health concerns if leaks occur and the installer is responsible for cleanup of surrounding ground(very expensive).
Even if allowed I don't believe I would attempt this project.
Whatever you decide to do post back and let us know the results.
PS. some city sewer lines are in the middle of the street. Do you want to tear up the street to cure your problem?

Whats the next best approach if I am not ready to spend the $100 or so a foot that the plumbers want to replace the pipe?

Leslie

Old 07-09-04, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but...if you don't want to spend that kind of money (not that I blame you) then get friendly with the rental place where you get the snake.There are also root killers available at the big box stores. Check these out and maybe you can stay ahead of the problem. I have heard of using copper sulfate on septic systems for this purpose. Mostly sold at farm stores. Good luck and post back.

Old 07-12-04, 10:48 AM
P
You could see if anyone in the area uses a liner like at the link (need to clean the roots out first) as it may be cheaper. Don't know if code accepts it everywhere though.

http://www.linkpipe.com/drain.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: