3 piece rough-in

Old 07-29-04, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 piece rough-in

Got a simple question. What usually makes up a 3 piece rough-in? Is it usually two 2" drains, a 4" drain and a vent or can you consider two 2" drains and tapping into the drain vent a 3rd piece?

I'm thinking you need the 4" drain due to the need for a wax ring for the toilet.

Old 07-30-04, 06:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think that you're referring to a 3-piece rough-in that would include a 3" or 4" closet bend for a toilet, a 2" drain for a shower/tub, and a 1.5" drain for a sink.
All should already be vented and tied into the drain system as part of the rough-in. The shower /tub drain rough-in should have a trap below floor level, but a sink has its trap installed later under the sink, and a toilet has a built-in trap.
Mike

Old 08-09-04, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pic of, so-call, 3 piece rough-in

Mike or anyone,

The link below shows what the builder calls a 3 piece rough-in in the basement of my future neighbor. When I look at it, I feel as though it is only a 2 piece as the one they put in my home has an additional 4 inch vent.

I've got them labeled to what the builder says each is for. For me, I feel as they they screwed up in not putting in a sink drain and now is telling my future neighbor that the vent tub, which is covered by the insulation, will do double duty. You have to remember that the rough-in they put in my basement looks identical except I have an additional 4" vent for the toilet.

Am I wrong in thinking the builder is taking my future neighbor for a ride? It just seems weird that they would put 3 separate drains plus a vent, where they only put 3 drains and a vent to work double duty in his.

http://www.rlix.com/pics/roughin.jpg

Thanks for your help!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: