Foghorn Noise In Toilet

Old 07-31-04, 12:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foghorn Noise In Toilet

According to the FAQ on this forum, this problem should be because the fill valve is in need of replacement. I feel a little better that this is a common problem.

Before rushing out to by the FluidMaster though, I was hoping someone could confirm the other symptoms for me.

As the title states, my toilet (in the master bath, upstairs) is producing the foghorn noise. It happens minutes after we run any of the upstairs sinks or showers with either hot or cold water. While the noise is happening, I can feel a buzzing vibration if a touch the water valve on the wall or the hose connecting it to the toilet.

We can get the noise to stop by either taking the top off the toilet and poking the floating down (causing the water to run), or by half-flushing the toilet (just enough to get the water to flow).

The final symptom is a dripping noise coming from the toilet. The dripping seems to be coming from (forgive my poor knowledge of terminology) the rubber stopper, that is flipped up when you flush the handle, allowing the water to empty the tank, then falls back on the hole, so the tank can fill back up. It seems worn, and I am assuming the dripping noise is a little bit of water seeping past the stopper. That seems like an easy enough item to replace, but is it related to the foghorn noise?

Thanks.

-Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-04, 02:39 PM
Sounds like High Water Pressure.

That fill valve in your toilet might be designed to allow a pressure blow-off.

I would test your water pressure and see if this is the culprit.......anything over 60 is considered high.

You must use a gauge to determine this.

http://www.wattscanada.com/faq/regulators/main.html

Old 08-01-04, 05:38 AM
J
Talking

Do you hear this noise while seated on said toilet? Sorry, just couldn't let that one pass by. Best of luck to you.

Jester