Gas Shutoff Valve in 1950 Wedgewood

Old 08-06-04, 02:06 AM
Ted Crocker
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Gas Shutoff Valve in 1950 Wedgewood

I'd like to add a gas shut-off valve to my 36" 1950 Wedgewood range so that I have direct access to the valve in case of a fire, rather than having to pull the stove away from the wall to access the valve like I do now. The cabinets on either side of the range have drawers and have no place to install a shut-off valve.

I have the perfect spot for the valve at the back of the pot storage area of the range. I'm looking for suggestions on making up a u-shaped configuration where one end exits the back of the range to attach the flexible hose to the wall and the other end continues along the back wall of the range up to the burners (where the flexible hose used to attach). The valve is located in the middle of the "u", inside the range where it can be accessed via a door. I would like as few connections or sections of pipe as possible. I also am looking for fittings that will allow securing the the u-shaped valve assembly firmly to the back panel where it exits through it, possibly by clamping it with nuts on either side of the sheet metal.

I'm wondering if any new design professional ranges already have such a setup mounted behind their kickpanel which I could order directly?
Old 08-07-04, 01:37 AM
steve_gro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,092
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There aren't any prefab gas valves such as you describe, at least I've never seen one. I've always had to custom-make it w/ nipples & fittings. If the range is on legs you can set the valve near the floor for access.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: