on again, off again sewer gas

Old 09-21-00, 11:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

Our 3 yr old two story with full basement is on a septic system. My puzzling problem is an apparntly random occurence of sewer gas in the upstairs. I videotaped the construction and have determined that the upstairs showers do not have traps. However the waste line serving this portion of the house has a trap in basement. The one and only vent serving this portion appears to have little horizontal slope to it as it connects to the main vent stack in the attic. Is it possible for gases to get sucked back into this portion of the vent system and travel downwards exiting into the shower drains? Or, is it common for the trap in the basement to get sucked dry? Which is more likely? How to fix? Very motivated. Den

Old 09-21-00, 12:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Your showers don't have traps?

Unless your house was built by the Three Stooges and inspected by Mr. Magoo, this seems very unlikely to me.

A vent line doesn't need much slope. One quarter inch per foot is enough.

Old 09-21-00, 04:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dluebbe@hotmail.com:
Our 3 yr old two story with full basement is on a septic system. My puzzling problem is an apparntly random occurence of sewer gas in the upstairs. I videotaped the construction and have determined that the upstairs showers do not have traps. However the waste line serving this portion of the house has a trap in basement. The one and only vent serving this portion appears to have little horizontal slope to it as it connects to the main vent stack in the attic. Is it possible for gases to get sucked back into this portion of the vent system and travel downwards exiting into the shower drains? Or, is it common for the trap in the basement to get sucked dry? Which is more likely? How to fix? Very motivated. Den<HR>

You should have traps under all fixtures, including your showers. THAT is your problem. If the contractor, or sub-contractor plumber, or the inspector, (as John said) let this pass, you have a lawsuit or a free correction due. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by OldGuy (edited September 21, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: