main vent stack

Old 09-21-00, 09:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Can I use the 4in main vent stack as a drain pipe for a new upstairs bathroom-toilet, sink, tub/shower. If not, where do I tie in the new drain and vent?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-00, 08:06 PM
Visiting Guest
If you use the main vent to tie in your new upstairs bathroom, it will work and I have seen it done.
I don't recommend doing it though, its called a vertical wet vent and is
against any plumbing code I am aware of.
To do the job properly you will need to bring a new drain down to the basement and tie into the 4" line BELOW the fixtures of the 1st floor. The vents off the new bathroom upstairs can tie into the vent stack. if you run horizontal to connect your new vents to the stack, be sure they are atleast 6" above flood rim (edge of the toilet bowl, threshold of the shower, lavatory counter, ect.) before turning horizontal. this is to prevent the drains from backing sewage into the vent and plugging it. probably would be simplist to take the vents into the attic to tie in to the riser. On pipe sizes, run a minimum of 3" from the basement to the toilet upstairs,
1.5" to a tub and 1.25" to a lavatory, each fixture should have its own vent 2" for toilet, 1.25" for lav., and 1.5" for the tub/shower I recommend you consult someone locally on this,as to what is acceptable in your area. As I have no way of knowing your local codes and conditions.
Goodluck
Plumber John

[This message has been edited by plumber john (edited September 21, 2000).]