Rotten egg smell coming from washer/dryer area

Old 08-19-04, 06:51 AM
kbarn33
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Rotten egg smell coming from washer/dryer area

I have a rotten egg smell which seems to be coming from the washer/dryer area when I use the washer or someone is using other water in the house such as the shower. There is a pipe which has a drain hose in it on the left, the two water spickets in the middle, and a pipe on the right which is just cut off, it runs up the wall and stops right where the other one does on the left. Is that my problem? What is that for? Help, this smell is driving me crazy! I would appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks!

Old 08-19-04, 09:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Odors (Yuk)

Kbarn, is the smell coming from this pipe on the right that you say is cut off? Is your house peer and beam (wood frame with a crawl space) or on a slab (cement floors). Do you smell this odor at any other plumbing fixture or is it restricted to this area of the house? Honestly, after reading your description of the piping behind your washer I would think you live in a peer and beam home with a crawl space. At some point there was a drain problem at the washer and someone has added a new stand pipe, cutting the old one off below the floor and leaving in the old riser. If you have more drain problems under the house this stand pipe could be acting as a vent allowing odors from underneath the house to vent upwards. Know mind you this is just a guess but a starting place! Please post back with a little more information and we will all do our best to assist you.
Richard

Old 08-23-04, 09:28 PM
LazyPup
Visiting Guest
Do the drain lines have traps on them?
If not, you will need to install a trap.
If there is a trap on the unused line odds are the water in the trap had evaporated out. The easy solution is to periodically (once a month or so)pour a quart of water in that line.

Old 08-24-04, 11:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Take a peek at:
http://www.rheem.com/dealers/resourc...displayNode=61
and scroll down to:
1206 Smelly Water and the Rotten Egg Odor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: