Poly busted ??????

Old 08-11-04, 10:56 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
Poly busted ??????

I have a pipe that busted right at the joint to the water meter. It is blue, and about 3/4 " in diameter. I was told this is polybutylan ? But I was reading up on this stuff, and it is supposedly black or gray ? And a buddy of mine told me that they don't make any supplies for this stuff anymore, and that I would have to replace all the pipe with PVC or some other material... I am self employed at the moment and looking for a really cheap fix. Like I said, the leak is right at the joint , going into the meter.... head me in the right direction...thanks, Bill.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-04, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are dealing with BLUE MAX piping which had a class-action lawsuit for being defective piping.

I am positive that the exterior dimension is CTS, which stands for Copper Tube Size.

I would go back a couple feet in the dirt and transition to copper to the meter. Use L or K soft copper, K is better to deal with, ask your local waterworks to pigtail another line to the meter for you to avoid buying a 60' foot roll for a 2 foot job.

Old 08-12-04, 06:12 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
Talking !!!!!!!!!!

GREAT info... I will get busy researching some of these parts you mentioned. thanks,Bill.

Old 08-24-04, 09:04 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
You still around Dunbar ?

I still haven't tackled this project..yet grrrr

.... I have a quesion. The latter part of your statement............

"I would go back a couple feet in the dirt and transition to copper to the meter. Use L or K soft copper, K is better to deal with, ask your local waterworks to pigtail another line to the meter for you to avoid buying a 60' foot roll for a 2 foot job."

So what you're saying is.. have the Water Co. to fix it.because I would have to buy a 60 ft. roll of this piping, and would have to be a contractor to purchase it ?

Or do they carry this at Home Depot !!!!!!!

Old 08-24-04, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a class action lawsuit with a settlement of one billion dollars to replace Blue Max Pipe. You might be in a position to get the entire service main replaced. (which you should do).

More Info here:
http://www.pbpipe.com/faq_gnrl.htm
http://www.poynerbaxter.com/Polybutylene.htm